13| Trust

Finn POV

I thrusted my sword toward Ozio's chest. He parried with ease, smirking with amusement. "Face it Finn, you're not a swordsman," he gloated.

"And nor are you an archer," I teased. I slashed again, and Ozio causally stepped out of the way.

"I think it's unfair that Kahn's making us train so much because of one defeat," he stated.

"He wants us to get better," I said causally.

Just then, an arrow flew past my head and landed perfectly in the center of a gnarl on the oak tree. "An archer and a swordsman," my sister teased from behind me. "The best warrior is someone who is both."

As non-identical twins, Amara had a much fiercer look than I. Her hair was darker, and her skin much tanner. She was considerably shorter than me, but gave off an aura of danger much scarier than I could ever hope to give. Standing in the middle of the sunlit, grassy clearing, sword and bow drawn, Amara looked like the fiercest enemy one would ever face.

"Amara," Ozio said casually. I had to stop myself from laughing. Ozio had developed a huge crush on my sister, and I'd known it for years. I finally got him to admit it to me a few months ago.

"Ozio," she replied curtly. "How are your wounds doing?"

I snorted as Ozio visibly winced. He'd gotten the pleasure of being personally kicked in the crotch by Princess Irene; then been subjected to the sisters' wrath when they casted some spell that ensured their victory. Oddly enough, I was the only elf not affected by the deadly light.

Though Amara had still begged Felix to demote her after the loss in the human castle, she had been much more confident overall. Kahn was general again, but Amara handled the troops. They seemed to take more of a liking to her than the general. Although quite intimidating, Amara could be charming when she tried.

"And Finn, pull yourself together," she snapped suddenly. Forget what I said about charming... "You keep disappearing when we need you most. Yesterday was a complete failure. We lost the carriage, which led to our defeat at the castle! Those princesses are going down," she growled.

Mixed emotions of guilt and worry went through me. I'd first-handedly betrayed the kingdom by warning the fairies of our attack, and then kissed one. Now I was fearing for Serena's safety. What had I dragged myself into...?

"Sorry," I said quietly. Amara, sensing my discomfort like only a sibling could, shut up. She met my eyes with a questioning look.

I broke eye contact, refusing to let myself give anything away. Amara could know nothing of my relationship with Serena. If anything leaked at all, I would be either exiled or killed for treachery. I felt sad when I thought about the fact that I couldn't even trust my family...or what was left of it.

My mother died right after giving birth to me and Amara, and my father had been a War Lord in the council my entire life. I felt like I barely knew him. Amara and I had spent most of our childhood with our aunt, who died in battle a few years ago when all able-bodied elves were called to fight the dwarves.

Since our aunt's death, Amara had spent less time with me and more time training in the palace with Father. Her ultimate goal was to be the best warrior in the kingdom. For the last two years I'd only seen her at night when she came home exhausted. I'd been a little more relaxed, joining the force a year ago when I turned sixteen.

So to sum it up, my family was pretty broken. My father was an emotionless Lord, and my sister consumed with dreams of greatness. The elf I felt I could trust most was my best mate, Ozio, but I couldn't even tell him about Serena. It was just too risky.

I needed to clear my head. I found myself turning away from Amara and Ozio and wandering toward the forest. Soon after, I wound up standing in the same spot where I'd first met Serena about a week ago. I breathed sharply. Everything had happened so fast.

I stared across the border longingly, wishing Serena would appear between the oak trees but knowing that she wouldn't. She was weak; without magic or wings. There was no way she could make it into Elf territory on her own, not with her royal requirements in the day and the Beasts terrorizing the woods at night.

I lost track of how long I stood there in the peaceful forest, the sunlight streaming between the trees and warming my back. Out of nowhere, an abrupt rustling in the treetops broke my tranquil relaxation.

Acting as if I'd heard nothing, I drew my bow, turned my back on the noise, and aimed across the clearing as if I was hunting. As soon as I heard footsteps hit the ground I turned swiftly and pointed my bow at a hooded figure standing on the Fairies' side of the border.

The figure stood without a weapon, its head slightly bent so the shadow of its hood covered its eyes.

"Who are you?" I growled as menacingly as I could.

Its lips curled into a creepy smile. The figure pulled its hood off to reveal a woman with long, dark hair and blue eyes.

"Irene?" I gasped, taking a step back and lowering my bow.

"Hello, Finn," she drawled, putting as much hostility into my name as she could. In one swift motion, the fairy swept me off my feet and extended her wings, pulling me into the air with her with shocking strength.

I quickly realized I was about to face my number one fear: heights. Irene's right arm only was wrapped around my waist as she flew relentlessly high into the air. "What the hell are you doing?!" I screamed. 

"Teaching you a lesson!" her voice called back, sounding distant in the wind. As soon as the trees on the ground appeared as only tiny dots, Irene stopped her ascension and let go of me.

I breathed sharply, waiting to fall, but I didn't. A tiny cloud appeared under me so I was standing in midair.

Irene hovered in front of me, one arm on her hip and one stretched toward me, holding the cloud steady with magic. "It's pretty windy up here!" she gloated.

"You don't say!" I gasped, struggling to breathe at this height. My heart was pounding in my head because I knew I could fall at any second. A wave of nausea rushed through me as I peered at the ground.

Irene sighed. "I don't like you, Finn," she said calmly. The wind suddenly intensified and the cloud under me shrank a little. "I don't trust you."

"Okay?!" I called, almost in hysteria.

"Don't mess with my sister," she warned.

"Wh-what are you talking about?" I stammered nervously.

"I saw you yesterday!" she yelled, her voice becoming louder. "You and Serena, kissing. And I'm here to warn you to stay away from her."

"What if I refuse?" I shot back in anger. Who did she think she was?

"A elf can't love a fairy, Finn," she said, narrowing her eyes. "You'd be betraying your kingdom, just as she would hers. You have duties. Responsibilities. Serena needs to marry a fairy...for the good of her kingdom. You can't be in the picture."

With a flourish of her hand the cloud supporting me vanished, and I began to plummet thousands of feet down toward the ground.