Chapter 8

It became routine that Kaiya would come down to the gym with Rena and Hisa every day after school, and it was almost as if she were a part of her team herself. Meanwhile, Rena still hadn't found out what was wrong with Hisa, despite it being two weeks before. Seirin had tied Shutoku and defeated Kirisaki Dai Ichi. They would soon go up against Too, and everyone was stressed out about that.

They all wanted to win so desperately, even Hisa and Rena, who weren't even players or coaches, but it was only natural at that point, right? They'd been with the Seirin team long enough for them to feel the same way as they did.

Kaiya had decided to treat everyone to dinner one night after practice, and the girls' eyes bulged out of their sockets. Did she not know how much those guys ate? Rinnosuke and Rena had to deny since they needed to be home – well Rena didn't really, but she wanted to walk with him – and Kaiya let out a dissapointed sigh.

"Rena, can I talk to you?" Riko asked, and the pink haired girl nodded, confused. "I was wondering if–" Just as the boys started to file out of the lockerroom a loud smack was heard, echoing off the quiet walls of the gym.

Kaiya was on the ground, holding her cheeks and looking up with wide eyes. Hisa's hands were balled into fists, and she looked very displeased. "H-Hisa-chan?" Kaiya stuttured out as a tear rolled down her cheek. "Did I ever give you permission to call me that?" Hisa barked out and Kaiya flinched. "Enough! I've had ENOUGH!" She shouted and slapped away Rena's hand that had come to place itself on her shoulder.

The brunette stormed through the halls, and Riko went over to comfort the crying black haired girl, while Rena found her own blood boiling. She knew what was bothering Hisa so much. Kaiya was now standing and swatting at her tears.

"What did you say to her?" Rena stated softly and Kaiya eyed her with wide eyes. "N-Nothing!" She replied and Rena took a cautious step forward. "Please," She begged, pain evident in her eyes. "What did you say to her?" She questioned again. "Nothing!" Kaiya yelled, louder than before. "I'm not interested in lies, Kaiya." Rena said dangerously. She could feel her temper rise, but she would not let it out. She had to think of Amaya and Kumi, and how acting out would affect them.

"I SAID NOTHING!" She screamed and everything went silent. "Alright. You said nothing. I believe you. But if anything happens to Hisa..... I won't let it slide. As her best friend, I will make you regret it." With that she started walking out of the gym.

"Oh yeah?! I don't see what you could do! You're just weak, stupid, and you're a loser! A loser with a mental issue!" Kaiya screamed after her and she froze. Her knees started shaking, and her heart started to beat faster. "Stop it...." She mumbled, raising a hand to control her heart rate.

"In elementary school, you were bullied too, right?! Well you're even more pathetic than I am! You're friends with the bully!"

"NO! STOP IT!" She screamed, covering her ears. Her breathing was frantic, and fear had settled into every single one of her nerves. No...... She blinked back tears. I..... don't want them to know.....

Unable to hold it in, Rena ran for the nearest trashcan as bile rose in her throat and into the bin. Everyone stared in shock as her chest heaved and she dashed out of the room, holding her mouth to muffle her sobs. She ran into the girls washroom and saw Hisa, who was curled up in a ball on the floor. She wiped her mouth on her sleeve and fell to her knees. Together the two cried, alone in the bathrooms.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hisa was forced to leave all club activities for physically assaulting a student until Spring Break by the principle, and Hisa's heart was torn. By then, the Winter Cup would be over. She'd shed many tears about it at night, and the worst part was that she dragged her best friend into her mess. She tried to get Rena to stay, but the girl simply shook her head. "I've made up my mind, Hisa-chan. I'm resigning. I don't think I could do it without you." She said, and went to deliver the news to Riko along with a formal letter.

"Are you sure?" Riko asked, sadness laced in her tone. "I'm sorry, Riko-san. I'll come back along with Hisa after Spring Break. I promise." Rena smiled sadly and Riko jumped onto her, hugging her tightly. "It'll be lonely not having another girl around here. And just because you aren't our manager anymore doesn't mean will still can't talk to each other at school, right?" Rena smiled. "Of course not. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, Riko-san." Rena waved and started walking out of the gym. She wanted to get out there as quickly as she could or she might start to doubt herself and go back.

However, before she could leave, the team were standing at the door. Shinji had tears in his eyes, but it was hard to know if he was frowning or not with that cat-like mouth he had, but she figured he was, like everyone else. "Is it true?" He questioned, and Hiroshi – one of the first years – continued after him. "Are you really leaving?"

She nodded and smiled. "I'll be back soon, and the only difference'll be that I'll be in the stands during every single one of your matches – I'll drag Hisa along if I have to." It was hard to say that, but she had to stick to her resolve. Suddenly, she was envelopped in a group hug.

"We love you, Rena! We'll miss you.... and Hisa too!" They shouted and she let out a laugh, trying to hug as many of them as she could. "I love all of you, too! We'll both miss you guys! So win the Winter Cup for us, okay?" Determination burned in their eyes. "Right!" She giggled and smiled as she slipped towards the door. At least she wouldn't leave with a heavy heart.