Chapter 6

The next day at school, Rena found it incredibly difficult to will herself into the gym after school to watch the boys practice and help Hisa and Riko. She didn't know what on Earth was passing through her mind when she'd done that, but she knew it would be very, very awkward.

She finally pushed the door open and walked in just as the boys came out from the changerooms. She carried a bin full of clean towels that she'd picked up from the faculty room as usual. She lurched forward suddenly before she regained her footing.

Her eyebrows furrowed but she continued to walk towards the benches where she put down the basket. She sat down on one of the benches, and felt a suddenly overwhelming feeling of fatigue. She blinked and rubbed her eyes, making a mental note to go to sleep early that night.

The girl froze when she noticed Rinnosuke walking out of the changerooms. It was obvious that he'd be there, but why did she feel so nervous and shocked? Her heart started beating quicker and quicker, however she knew it shouldn't have been.

She coughed and swallowed thickly, closing her eyes. "Rena-chaaaaaaan!" Hisa jumped on her, nearly making the girl topple over. Hisa's wide, green eyes sparks flying from them. "I heard from Amaya about yesterday!" She shouted and the girl looked at her in confusion before she realized what Hisa meant. Soon almost everyone was crowding around her, making the girl blush in embarassment. She sent a half-hearted glare in Hisa's direction before she calmed them down. "Mitobe-san just helped me cook something yesterday. That's all." She closed her eyes.

"EEEEHHHHH?!"

"He's so lucky! I can help you next time, Fujimoto-san!" Her hair flew back because of the force of their yells, and she blinked. What was the big deal? She shrugged. "IDIOTS! We came here to PRACTICE!" Junpei yelled, and Rena was quite glad for the captain's temper at that moment because it prevented her from explaining unnecessary things.

She caught Rinnosuke's gaze and she quickly averted her gaze, shame crawling up her heart. She was in a daze during the entire duration of the practice, handing out towels when needed. She was about to take the bin of dirty towels towards the laundry room where she would have to clean them when two of the first years on the team swept passed and took the basket from her. "We'll do it, Fujimoto-san!" They called and she nodded, giving a small smile. "Ah.... Thank you." She replied and started to walk towards the school exit.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she jumped, looking up in alarm. His gaze said it all.

Did I do something?

Her eyes widened and she shook her head, speaking before thinking. "No! It's just that I..... I....." Truth be told, she had no idea what she would say next, but when she did, she didn't want to say it aloud. "I was scared that things would be awkward." She whispered and it was his turn for his eyes to widen.

Why?

She averted her gaze to the floor and bit her lip. She didn't want to admit it – nonetheless to him..... or to herself. She was afraid of doing that, too. He let out a silent sigh and smiled at her.

You don't need to worry.

She looked up at him before she gave him a wide, close-eyed smile. "Thank you." She whispered and he pat her head – again. It made colour fill into her pale cheeks and caused her heart to beat even more frantically than it already was.

The two walked out together. It was convenient because their houses weren't too far apart, and it gave Rena more time to bask in the happiness being around him brought. Eventually, they split ways. She waved, and he did the same as they turned two ways. Maybe...... maybe Hisa dragging her into being the manager for the Seirin team wasn't so bad after all.