I give him a confused look and shake my head, “What do you mean? He – he can’t train you anymore? Casey loves you, though. Why would she do that?”

Charlie shrugs, swallowing another bite and picking up his water glass.

“She talked to me about it,” he says nonchalantly, bringing the glass to his lips.

“And you’re okay with this?”

He nods and goes back to eating, not meeting my eyes. Usually, I find Charlie’s mellow, gentle nature soothing, but I become instantly irritated with his passive attitude toward what I've just been told.

I set my plate on the coffee table in front of me and move towards him.

“Charlie, aren’t you upset? Does it not worry you that Mark won’t be able to train you any more? You can tell me, if you’re stressed,” I touch his arm, encouraging him as gently as possible to stop eating and talk to me.

“I’m not nervous. He needs a steady job to keep him occupied. Having a flexible schedule as a trainer to me and a few others left him too much time to cause trouble,” he stays completely neutral in his response.

“And what about his clients? What about you? There can’t be too many other creditable trainers in Clemson, not for a professional boxer.”

Charlie has the audacity to smile at my stress.

“I’ll figure it out, baby,” he sets his now empty plate beside mine and pulls me closer with one arm, “I’ve taken care of myself for a while now.”

He tries to kiss my cheek, but I resist, pushing my palms against him and leaning away with a frown.

“You’re mad at me?” He pouts, but still keeps his smile.

“I just feel like you’re not taking this very seriously. Are you in denial?” I semi-joke.

He laughs and pulls me back again, reminding me that my struggle to get away was not successful.

“That’s how I live my life, baby.”

“You don’t though,” I counter, “You’re right when you say that you’ve taken care of yourself for a while now, and I know you have some sort of plan that you aren’t telling me.”

He just smirks and I roll my eyes.

“I’m going to take our dishes into the kitchen, and then you can help me study more, okay?”

“What an honor. Are you sure you don’t want me to take those for you, princess?”

“Don’t call me that,”

Charlie laughs, yet again, “God, you’re testy tonight. Are you stressed about this exam? You’ll do fine.”

“I’m not stressed. I just don’t like being called, ‘princess.’ It’s degrading.”

Charlie raises his eyebrows at me and shakes his head, amused.

“You certainly are an adventure, Stella.”

I stand and gather our plates, leaving my half-full cherry coke and Charlie’s water.

“Also degrading,” I fire as I walk quickly towards the kitchen. I hear Charlie laugh, but I don’t turn back.

On Tuesday, Mr. Miller, Jimmy and I are all overly aware that today is Allie’s last day as our coworker. Towards the end of her shift, while there isn’t a crowd, Jimmy brings out a cake, and we have a mini celebration of her last day. Before retiring back to the kitchen, he hands her a small, leather bound notebook with a pink bow tied around it.