Chapter 14

As Charlie starts his car and pulls out of the space, he reaches over and takes my hand, leaving both of ours to rest on my leg. I look to him with a slight simile, and he has one too, but his eyes remain forward, on the road.

I can tell that he’s worn one of his thin headbands today, and recently taken it off, because not only is the top of his brilliantly messy hair pushed back in front, but the more curly sides are as well.

He blinks slowly, his eyes and brow relaxed as he focuses on the road, and the perfect corners of his lips remain slightly upturned into a content smile.

With my hand that isn’t in his, I start to play with the simple band on Charlie’s index finger and let my head fall back onto the headrest.

Jeff Buckley’s cover of “Hallelujah” plays quietly in the background and we don’t speak much. The song is enough. It’s the first time that Charlie’s had the music in his car turned up enough for me to really hear it, and “Hallelujah” is so calming that I nearly far asleep.

I’m still leaning back into the headrest. My face is turned towards Charlie, but my eyes are closed. I’m disrupted by my own ringtone.

Charlie sighs and lets go of my hand, moving slightly in his seat so that he can reach into his jean pocket and retrieve my phone.

He looks at the number before he lets me see.

“It’s your parents,” He says, finally offering me the phone.

“Hello?”

“Stella? What did Charlie say? Are you still talking to him? Where are you?”

“I’m with him now,” I answer all of her questions at once.

“Oh thank goodness. Do you feel okay about everything? Jason wouldn’t show up at Charlie’s, I suppose.”

“No, I’m okay now. I’m sorry to have scared you.”

“It’s alright sweets, you two have fun tonight. I guess you’re staying with him?”

Oh. I haven’t actually mentioned to my parents that I’ve slept over at Charlie’s. At least I assume that they assume that I haven’t slept over at his house yet. If I’m correct in my assumption, this is an opportune time to tell them, anyway, because they want me with someone, somewhere Jason can’t find me.

“Yes, I’m just going to stay there tonight.”

“Okay well, have fun and relax. I love you, your dad loves you too.”

“I love you both. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Wait, Stella?”

“Yes?” I ask, wondering if she’s going to ask for an audio tour of Charlie’s house or something.

“Could you just tell him thank you? For us, because it’s such a relief to know that you have someone there whom you can trust.”

“Yeah, I’ll tell him, mom. I love you,” I repeat myself before hanging up the phone.

I’m lucky to have such understanding parents. I always wonder if they would be the same, had Jason never happened to me. I know it had to have changed them, too, because I feel like the only thing worse than being abused yourself, would be realizing that your child had been.

“Were they… were they alright with you staying over?” Charlie asks, turning his head slightly towards me, but keeping his eyes on the road.

We are nearing his driveway now, and I can’t wait to get inside. I can’t wait to lay my head on his chest and fall asleep – nothing sounds better right now.