Chapter 28

I arrive back to Charlie's after my last class on Thursday while he is still at the gym. He told me that he would be training three high school football players into the evening, so I was aware that I would be coming home to an empty house. I use my alone time to relax.

No matter how well I've slept this week, it hasn't been enough. Between work and school, and everything else that pops up in between, I can't seem to keep my energy up, and it's taking a toll. I nearly doze off, but my phone buzzes with a text, demanding my attention. Allie has written to confirm our dinner plans tonight. I feel like I should call Charlie first, to make certain that he's still up to going to dinner. When I'd asked him earlier, just after I'd left the café, he'd immediately agreed to go. I know how tired I am, though, and I don't want to burden him with plans if he's been working all day. I look at the time - Charlie should be home soon. I decide to wait to text Allie.

Cooper had been asleep beside the couch, but while I've been toying with my phone, he's gotten up and laid his head in my lap.

"Do you want to go outside, buddy?" I ask playfully, scratching my fingertips at his chubby neck.

He turns, seeming to smile, and pads happily towards the back door. I lift myself from the couch and put Charlie's denim jacket on, which I've basically taken as my own, and wrap my mostly red, plaid scarf around my neck.

The cool air in the backyard hits my face and feels refreshing. Cooper skips out onto the grass, and I hang back on the porch. Thank goodness I have this home to come to, and I'm not hauled up in a stuffy dorm, breathing stale air and having only buildings and a street in my view. Charlie's backyard feels safe, but perfectly secluded. Unlike my yard at home, it still has a neighborhood feel, but the surrounding houses and yards do not suffocate the space.

I hear Cooper's bellowing bark coming from the far side of Charlie's fenced yard, followed by a woman's pleasant laugh. I look to see an elderly woman leaning over the fence, patting the jovial dog on the head. She speaks kindly to him, though I can't make out her words, but I can tell that they're familiar with one another.

Charlie never speaks of his neighbors, really. He's told me that they're all kind, and used to check up on him regularly when he first moved in, knowing that he was so young. He acted as though it was an annoyance to his pride, but I could tell that he appreciated them - the company and the kindness. I decide to introduce myself to her. She hears me approaching through the grass and leaves and looks up. Cooper runs back towards me; he seems to lead and introduce me to the old lady.

She smiles, and it touches her warm, brown eyes. Her clothing is comfortable and practical. She wears her silver-gray hair in a ponytail, low on her head. Her posture isn't perfect, but she looks well and able. As she pulls her dark green, cardigan sweater together in the front, I notice that she still wears a large diamond ring on her left hand.

"Hello," I smile, as I approach the fence with Cooper by my side, "My name's Stella. I'm Charlie's friend."

I hold out my hand over the fence and she takes it graciously, "Hello sweetie, I'm Gloria," She says in a happy tone.

"Nice to meet you, Gloria."

"I thought I saw another car in his driveway when I got in yesterday. I've been gone for quite some time, but I'm glad to see that Charlie has someone to keep around now. He's such a sweet boy. You're in good company."

"I am," I nod.

"Do tell him I'm home, would you? And you're always welcome to come over if you need anything, I shouldn't be leaving again for a while."

"Of course. Were you travelling?"

"I was," she says enthusiastically, "I've been in Greece for over a month now. My husband has family there. We made plans for this trip years ago, but got much too sick and passed away last year. He made me promise that I would still go, so I took out eldest grandchild. She graduated last year, but her parents agreed to let her travel with me for one semester."

"She probably learned much more than she could've in school. Greece must have been amazing," I say without my condolence, because I don't want it to seem as if I'm changing the subject when I give it.

"Oh, it's another world. It's easy to believe, when you're as old as I am, that you must've seen it all - there is always more. It's humbling, really," she smiles warmly, "I can still be awestricken, shown something new, taught something. If you ever get the opportunity, you really have to go."

I bite my bottom lip with a small nod and smile, but I let it dissolve quickly, "I'm sorry to hear about your husband." I look towards her house when I say it, wondering if she's lonely, now that she doesn't have travel and her granddaughter to fill her time.

"I'll always miss him," she says, and then she slowly shakes her head, "We should've gone together, when we had the chance. Time isn't given for waiting."

As Cooper and I reenter the house, I hear another door closing, though the kitchen, and I realize that Charlie is home.

"Stella?" He calls through the house.

I pace quickly from the living room into the kitchen, and meet him by the door. He is wearing gym attire, of course - less appropriate for the weather, but his body is still warmer than mine.

"Hi," I greet him as I wrap my arms around his torso, pushing my hands up underneath his shirt, and pressing them against his warm skin.

He jumps at my touch and laughs, "Why are you so cold, baby?"

"Cooper and I went outside. I met Gloria, the lady next door. She is back from Greece. She's very sweet."

I pull away, and his arms, which held me to his chest, slip to my waist, but don't release me.

"Is she?" He asks, raising his brows, "I'll have to start stopping by again then. She lives alone now."

"Yes, she told me about her husband," I say hollowly, running my fingers over the zipper of his jacket, "Do you visit her often? She seems to like you."

"I try to," he looks down at my hands on his chest.

"That's sweet."

"It's nothing, really. She's just next door, and she needs someone close that she can go to."

"It's more than most people think to do though, Charlie, especially people our age."

I pull away and walk towards the living room. Charlie lets go of my waist, but follows close behind.

"Do you still feel up to going to dinner?" I ask, "I understand if you're tired."

"I still want to go," He says as we near the couch, "What time, again?"

"Eight, she says," I reach for my phone so that I can text Allie back. I tell Charlie the name of the restaurant and he says he's familiar.

"It's pretty nice," he says, "Not stuffy, but we can dress up."

"Okay," I respond absentmindedly, trying to remember what clothes I've brought.

"I told my parents about New York today. We would be leaving a week from Wednesday, right?"

"That's right. Were they okay with it? I don't want to take you away from them if they've made plans."
"No, they don't mind at all," I smile.

Taking off my boots, I pull my knees up onto the couch and lay my head against the back cushions, "My last final is the Wednesday before we leave, you know. That morning, I'll be finished with the semester."

"Oh," He says dryly, "Will you be going home?"

"I was planning to. You're welcome to come with me. They would both love to have you."

His face lights up at the invitation. Sometimes, I feel guilty about how much these little things mean to him. I've always been so nonchalant, verging on indifferent towards people - he is overly sweet and warm - I could give him more, I think.

"I would like that a lot," He says, grinning and looking from my eyes to the television, "I'll have to be sure that it won't throw my training off, since I have a fight coming up."

"Of course. Don't let it be a burden, you can always come another time."

He assures me that he can make it work, and I consider texting my mother to tell her that he's accepted the invite - she will be over the moon. Charlie suggests that we shower before dinner, though, and I decide to take that offer instead.

As we pull up in front of the restaurant, I text Allie to let her know that we've arrived. I wear a simple, long sleeved dress in a pale pink color, with a black trench coat over it. Charlie wears his black blazer with a white button down underneath, and dark jeans. His hair looks perfect, as usual, and as I receive Allie's text saying that she and her fiancé are already inside, I reach across the center console to run my fingers through the side, just above his ear.

He parks and turns off the engine, and then smiles towards me when I remove my hand.

"They're already here," I say quietly, "Are you ready?"

Allie's fiancé stands as we approach, while she stays sitting, but waves enthusiastically.

"This is Ben," she introduces him proudly.

"Nice to meet you Charlie, Stella," He shakes both of our hands, calling us by name without asking.

Ben is nearly as tall as Charlie - nearly as broad, too. He has blonde hair and sparkly brown eyes. He is dressed nicely, in a blue seersucker shirt and khakis. He looks like a sweet prince, very clean cut. He seems confident, too, but bashful, as his cheeks flush during our introduction.

"Stella, you've never even seen a photo of Ben, have you? People think he's my brother sometimes, horrible isn't it?" She crinkles her freckled little nose in Charlie's direction.

"You won't have to wonder what she's been up to if your children don't come out blonde," I say, regretting it only for a second, because Ben laughs.

"Right?" Allie leans forward in her seat, "I'm not getting away with anything."

I see her arm move towards his leg under the table, presumably to give it a light squeeze before placing it back in her own lap.

"Have either of you been to this restaurant before?" Ben asks, looking between us, "We seriously considered inviting you both to Subway, but we were afraid you wouldn't come," he smiles and blushes again.

"He actually offered that we skip dinner all together and head straight to the bar," Allie interrupts, "We ordered wine, by the way."

"Best of both worlds, then," I remark, "Charlie's been here. Haven't you?" I ask, turning towards him a little. He is holding his water glass, but stops before he takes a drink.

"I have been. It's very good, almost as good as Subway," he smirks as he brings the cold glass to his lips.

"See?" Ben laughs, looking at Allie, "Next time we'll go for a sandwich, and then to the pub."

As the waiter brings the wine, Ben asks us about our plans for Christmas break. Charlie and I look at each other, and then he speaks, "We're going back to her parents' house, and then to New York for a few days."

"Wow," Ben says, raising his eyebrows, "What are you doing in the city?"

"I box, and I have a match there."

"Oh, that's interesting. You must be amazing, if you get to travel around for it. You like it a lot?" Ben asks with genuine interest.

Charlie shrugs and starts to speak, but the waiter approaches, beckoning our attention.

When our orders are placed, Ben continues to speak to Charlie, "I wish I could have done something like that, something less predictable and more remarkable, I mean. I'm not very athletic," He laughs, smiling down at Allie, and then back at Charlie, "I'm a decent golfer, but that's it for me."

"He was an economics major," Allie says, "I think it's very remarkable that anyone could enjoy numbers as much as you do," she smirks at him.

Ben blushes again, presumably embarrassed to have just been revealed as a fan of both golf and math in less than one minute. I personally think that he is well suited for both.

"No more numbers for me, though," Ben remarks, "I could only take one semester's worth of hounding from my parents - I'm going to law school in the spring."

Charlie jumps in to ask Ben about his plans, and I notice Allie look regretfully down at her lap.

"...Since Allie was offered her dream job, we'd planned to both be moving to New York. My parents are adamant about Washington though."

I collect what's been said in an instant. Allie had applied to a company in New York that she'd dreamt of working for since her freshman year. She didn't feel hopeful at all about getting it - not directly out of college.

"You got the job?" I ask excitedly, "When are you moving? That's too bad you two will have to live apart again, but that is such an amazing opportunity. Congratulations!"

Allie looks up at me, her eyes absent of their usual eagerness. "I turned down the offer," she says, forcing a smile.

My own smile disappears, "That's - that was your dream though."

"Well, I'm engaged now, Stella," she says, her defensiveness almost completely hidden under the pleasant tone of her voice, "I'd rather be near him," she rubs Ben's arm and they smile at one another.

"If you decided to go though, I mean, you already know that you two can make it work when you're apart," I say, referring to their recently long-distance relationship while Allie's been at Clemson.

"New York seems like a hard city to be lonely in," Allie says, and I nod in agreement. It isn't my place to comment, but I hate to see her giving up on her dream.

I feel Charlie's hand on my leg, probably trying to distract or quiet me.

"She probably hates me even more now, knowing that you're taking Stella to the city, while I'm taking her to the Midwest," Ben tries to laugh as he speaks to Charlie, but I can tell that he feels guilty.

Charlie smiles back at Ben, and then he begins asking Allie if she still has plans to work, or if she's thought about a graduate program at Washington.

The rest of the dinner is very pleasant. I drink three glasses of wine, Ben is hilarious, and Allie really seems to love him. He and Charlie get along well, and end up having quite a lot to talk about, which gives Allie and I a chance to talk separately, and pout over the fact that Tuesday will be our last day working together.

When the waiter brings two separate bills, Charlie immediately pulls his wallet from his back pocket and insists on paying for everyone.

"No!" Allie exclaims, "Why would you do that?"

"An engagement present," Charlie smiles, "It's no big deal."

I wonder again why Charlie insists on spending his money on other people. I know that he makes decent pay as a boxer and trainer, but surely he should be more frugal. Regardless, Ben and Allie thank him graciously.

I hug them both as we part ways in front of the restaurant. Charlie kisses Allie's cheek and shakes Ben's hand, and then he takes mine as he walks me to the car, opening my door and waiting for me to climb inside. When he takes his seat beside me, I ask if he had a good time.

"I did. They're nice people. Did you?"

"Yes," I agree, "But I can't believe Allie is moving with him when she was offered that job."

Charlie chuckles and shakes his head, as if he was expecting it, "Stella, lots of people don't like to be alone. They're engaged now; they've made a promise to live their lives together, not in two different regions for career's sake."

I giggle a bit at his defense, "I guess that's true."

"What's funny?" He pouts as we pull out of the parking lot.

"It's not funny. You're just cute, the way you think about things. I should be more like you. Do you think I'm jaded?"

He smiles, "Jaded? I don't know about that. But I do think you're a bit intoxicated."

"That was good wine. You shouldn't have paid for all of that. You pay for everything."

"I like to treat people."

I giggle again, "You have a decent personality, you know. It's possible that you could have friends without buying them."

He smiles and shakes his head, but it soon disappears and is replaced by a frown-y gaze through the front window. I could be wrong, of course, but I feel like I can hear his worries.

I reach my hand over and rest it on his leg, sitting up and turning towards him in my seat, "I wouldn't move away from you for a job, not if you didn't want me to. I don't think I would, at least," I frown, questioning my own words.

"Thanks for the reassurance, Stella," He smirks.

"No, it's true. I wouldn't," I say decidedly, "I didn't think about Allie liking Ben as much as I like you, it doesn't seem possible. I understand why she would give up her job and move with him, though."

He just smiles and nods slightly, "I'm sure Ben cares for her very much, but I doubt he loves her as much as I love you," He lays his hand over mine and gives it a squeeze.

I realize that a part of me wanted Charlie to assure me that he would never ask me to give up an opportunity, that he wouldn't hesitate to live separately and still be together - at least while we're still young. Thankfully, I am only a freshman, and I should be thankful just to have found someone like him already.

Looking towards him - his soft, thick, brown hair pushed back from his face, his perfect jawline and lips - it's an easy distraction.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and stand up on my knees, leaning towards him and connecting my lips to his neck.

"Stella, that's not safe," He says, a smile evident in his voice, "Put your seatbelt back on."

I move my hand up his legs, towards his belt buckle, "Relax, Charlie. You worry too much."

When we make it home, Charlie pours a glass of water for me, still smirking over the "stunt" that I pulled in the car.

"I've made it my obligation to make sure you don't miss out on any of life's pleasures by fretting too much about the safety and well being of others, et cetera."

He laughs, handing me the cold glass, "Thank God for you, baby," and then he kisses my forehead.

"Do you want to watch a movie or something before bed?" He asks as we head into the living room.

"Sure," I say, taking another sip of my water, "I don't have class tomorrow," I remember excitedly.

"Mm," Charlie remarks, "I have to train with Mark, and then work with clients again, but maybe we can do something fun at night - go out or something."

I nod as we settle onto the couch together and Charlie starts scrolling through movie channels. We settle on a mutual favorite, but are forced to pause it after about fifteen minutes, when Charlie's cell phone rings.

He checks the screen and stands from the couch, "It's either Mark or Casey," He says, gesturing with his phone and walking off towards the kitchen.

I scroll through my own phone, expecting the conversation to take a while, but Charlie quickly returns to the living room, pushing his hand through his hair and looking visibly stressed.

"Those men are at Mark's right now. Mason has called the cops, but I need to go," His voice is more rushed than I've ever heard it as he checks his pockets for his keys, "Will you be alright here alone?"

"Yeah of course," I say, "Should I go with you? Please be safe."

"No, I don't want you there. They are dangerous. I'll be fine. I love you."

He hurries to the side of the couch and kisses me, gripping my waist and pulling me slightly up from the couch, before setting me back down. His blue eyes appear strained and troubled, and I frown, touching his face once with my hand before he turns and heads off towards the garage.

I hear the garage door open, his engine start, and the door close again, respectively. I haven't taken the movie off pause yet, but after a few minutes, I decide that I should to fill the silence. I feel uneasy, not knowing what sort of circumstance Charlie is entering at the Isaacs' house. I watch the movie absentmindedly until I feel as though I'm going to be sick. I convince myself that it's only the alcohol, that I don't have a terrible feeling in my gut that something bad is going to happen to him. I consider calling my parents, but I know that they will worry, about both Charlie and me, so I decide against it.

I decide to play a record instead, turning off the television completely. The Elvis record that Charlie and I listened to the very first night that I stayed here is on the table, and I let it play.

I lie down on the couch and call Cooper to my side. He sits beside me as I stroke his head and speak quietly to him. He lays his chin on the edge of the couch, near my face and stares at me with pouting, brown eyes.

"Can't Help Falling in Love" begins to play from the speakers - Charlie's favorite track.

I didn't say "I love you," back. I suddenly think, He said it and kissed me, and I didn't say anything.

If the night were normal, I wouldn't think much of my indiscretion. But as the scene plays over in my head: his fearful blue eyes and his longing clutch of my waist, met only with my silence, I begin to drown in regret.

I close my eyes and listen to the track, hoping and begging for him to come home safely. My mind wanders to dinner - to my judgment of Allie's selflessness for following Ben, and giving up on a dream so temporary as a job. I haven't been grateful enough. Now Charlie is probably convinced that I'll only stay here until a finer opportunity presents itself - a job, a graduate school's acceptance letter, or, God forbid, a boy with a prospective degree.

This must be the ultimate luck though, to have found something - someone - to make all of those things seem pale in comparison.

My own epiphany is enough to quiet my mind of worry, and after a while, I look to my phone and realize that it has been almost an hour since he left. Cooper sleeps beside me, and I've changed albums twice. I start to get up, to select another record to listen to, when my phone finally rings. Charlie's number is on the screen.

"Charlie?" I answer immediately, "I've been worried sick. Is everything okay? Are you coming home?"

I realize that there is crying on the line. My mind seemingly begins to numb itself to impending pain, as I simultaneously realize that it isn't Charlie whom I'm speaking to.

"Stella, this is Casey. I'm on my way to pick you up, sweetie. I'm going to drive you to the hospital."