Christmas as Fourth Years

Start from the beginning

“A Death Eater?”

“One of Lord Voldemort’s followers Peter,” said Lupin.

“She’s so proud of herself, torturing and killing people left right and centre; should have seen it coming to be honest, the only person she’s actually ever cared for is Narcissa.”

“She hasn’t actually killed anyone has she?” they asked alarmed.

“I wouldn’t put it past her,” said Sirius.

“But are the rest of your family Death Eaters?”

“No but you should hear them going on about how Lord Voldemort has the ‘right idea and we need to clean the wizard race.’ They want to get rid of all half-bloods, Muggle-borns, everything. If you’re not a pure-blood, you’ve had it in the eyes of my family. Blood traitors too, they think that that’s worse in some ways; you should see my mother spouting on about ‘respectable pure-blood marriages’, it’s enough to drive anyone insane. I’ve half a mind just to marry some Muggle somewhere when I leave Hogwarts and watch her keel over.”

“Hang on. Wasn’t Andromeda in Slytherin though?”

“Yeah.”

“So surely she must think the same way?”

“Well she may have done at one point, or maybe she was just better suited to Slytherin, but in comparison to her sisters she’s practically a Muggle; it would be hard not to be fanatical in that family though, I mean look what she has for sisters. One of them went out with Lucius Malfoy too so they can’t have the best taste either!”

***************************************************************************

“Hey Cassie, your parents are called Jasmine and Archie right?” said Lily as she read her Daily Prophet over breakfast.

“Yeah why?”

“They’re mentioned in here: ‘Two of the Aurors who found the body were Jasmine and Archie Jones, Head of the Auror Department and his wife. ‘It’s very alarming that they managed to defeat her,’ says Archie. ‘But at the moment all we can do is advise people to be cautious; we at the Ministry, however, don’t think that there’s any need to be overly concerned, just don’t take risks.’” Lily read out.

“What happened?”

“Someone was found dead in her house; they think that it was Death Eaters.”

“Is that the first person that they’ve actually killed?”

“Well some people have been disappearing but they don’t know whether they’re dead or not; there have been a couple of murders but they seem a little disconnected… It’s not even like they’re all Muggle-born or anything, some of them were pure-bloods.”

“How strange; I hope my parents aren’t doing anything stupid.”

“They’re Aurors; surely they’d be more cautious than other people. And it would be hard for people to beat them anyway because don’t they have to be really good duellists?”

“Yeah I suppose,” said Cassie reassured, smiling at Lily as her frown disappeared. “I had a really strange dream the summer before we started… third year I think it was. It was about my parents and they were having some conversation about my mum lying to me about why she had a Sneakoscope in her office.”

“Sneakoscope? Those things that detect untrustworthy people?” asked Alice.

“Yeah; we were talking about it when my Hogwarts letter arrived. Anyway, it was an odd dream. I only mentioned it because we were talking about precautions; my parents can be a bit mental but they’re not stupid or anything. I’m sure they’ll be fine.”