Chapter 6

Wednesday, November 24th 7:45pm

They all were sat down at the table, eating the food that was prepared. There was lots of laughter and stories that came mostly from Ms. Mulder. Dana sat on the left of Mulder, and Catherine sat to the right.

"Ah...I remember that time when you and Samantha were so little and you guys would run around the house in your underwear. I️ went to answer the door, when the mailman saw, he had dropped the mail and it blew all around the yard."

Treena paused to let the laughing subside, "So, Catherine, how are things back West?"

Dana leaned forward to get a good view of her speaking. Catherine swallowed her bite of mashed potatoes, "California is just beautiful and work is really good-

Mulder turned to stare at Dana as she continued speaking.

"What?" She whispered hesitantly, trying to avoid interrupting Catherine.

"Nothing," He said and looked back to his right as she finished speaking.

She watched as he gently placed his hands on top of hers which were set just above her knee.

They stared at each other so sweetly, and it made Dana sick. She hadn't known Catherine for that long, yet she had a feeling she didn't like her all that well.

"Hopefully you can move back here soon enough, then we can start talking serious, Cat," Mulder said as she finished speaking.

Cat? She wanted to vomit

"Well that's-" Catherine began but was quickly interrupted by Treena.

"So Dana, you and Fox have been partners for almost a year now...

Mulder, she wanted to correct her but knew it would've been impolite sensing she was aware of the slip...Was it really almost a year, already?

"What were you doing before you joined the bureau?" His mother was smiling again, that sweet smile that only mothers seem to hold.

"Well, while I was enrolled in medical school at Stanford I was recruited by the F.B.I. I went to the academy for a couple of years until I was offered the position to instruct at the academy. Then, a few years later and now I'm here."

"Well I'm glad you're here, Dana," Mulder's mother smiled and folded her hands together on top of the table cloth.

"Me too."

She was surprised from who the statement came from as she looked back to her right and saw her partner looking at her, her heart was racing and she smiled softly with her lips closed.

The room became quiet except for the scratched of forks on the China and small chatter from the kids club over in the corner.

Dana heard a few hushed tones to her right and didn't want to intrude, but knew deep down, that she really did. Catherine whispered softly and Mulder, harshly.

She could only hear parts of the conversation due to her other ear being bombarded with the voice of Mulder's uncle talking some mess about how much his flight over here cost him and the obnoxious man he had sat next to. How ironic.

They were arguing about something and when she stood up with pain in her eyes Mulder's cousin Eli chimed in something about pie and it was like the running of the bulls.