You're Sick of Feeling Numb

"Adam!"

...

"Adam! Earth to fucking Adam!"

I quickly snapped my focus towards Neil, who seemed to be frustrated by something.

"W-what?"

"Now I've got your attention, what do you suggest we start off with?"

I stared blankly at him, trying to figure out what he meant. He sighed and shook his head, obviously realising I had no clue what he was talking about.

"For god's sake Adam, it was your bloody idea for us to come over."

Suddenly it clicked. I invited them to come over so we could work on some songs. How could I forget something that important? Neil was staring at me impatiently for me to answer. I shifted my eyes off him, glancing over to the sofa on the over side of the room. Barry was casually strumming on his guitar and Brad seemed to be invested on playing with his lip ring.
I brought my attention back to Neil, trying to think of something to say that sounded somewhat believable.

"Sorry, I haven't had enough sleep... ya' know, with being on tour for ages and uh... stuff."

"It's been three months since we finished our recent tour, I'm sure you would have caught up on your loss of sleep." He then got up and passed me my acoustic, which was leaning against the dining table.

"Anyway, let's talk about that later, we've got some work to do."

***

I was sitting on the edge of my bed, breathing heavily. I needed them. I needed them more than ever. Surely the guys wouldn't notice if I slipped out to take a few, right? I quietly stepped out into the living room, glancing over to look at the guys. In the room, there were three couches for each of the guys to camp on. Unfortunately, they were still wide awake.

"Ah, Adam, you've finally decided to join us in our sleepover!"

"Neil, now isn't the time."

"Such a shame, we were going to invite you to join our viewing of the Notebook." I was planning on making my escape, until I recognised that Brad wasn't there. I really don't need him to get in my way at the moment.

"Do ya' know where Brad is?"

"Your boyfriend's raiding the kitchen for some food, you can't have a sleepover without snacks, eh?"

"Uh ok... thanks."

I made my way past the kitchen, slipping into the bathroom. Swinging open the cabinet doors, under the bathroom sink, I began my search for the pills. They weren't there. They weren't anywhere for that matter. Where could they have gone to? We had such a strong relationship, how could they go up and leave me like that?

"Looking for these?" My heart instantly dropped. Brad was hanging over me with a bottle of pills dangling in his hand.

"H-how?"

"When I went to go take a piss earlier, I saw a half empty pill bottle laying on the bathroom sink."

"I--"

"You need some lessons on how to hide things, it was quite obvious something was up with you."

"Brad, please don't speak of this to anyone." Brad just stood there, laughing hysterically.

"No need, the guys are quite clear on what's going on."

"No, What!?"

"We saw you poppin' pills in the back of the bus while we were on tour a couple times."

"Yeah, but--"

"I heard OxyContin was addictive, but for god's sake Adam, I never thought that you'd be the type of guy to get hooked on these things."

"Brad, I need you to give me them right now!"

"No, what you need is some help." I was on the floor, begging Brad to give them to me like my life was on the line.

"I'll go get the guys, there's a place nearby that I'm sure will help get over your problem."

***

By the time we arrived, it was around 6 in the morning. I felt as if all my life force was sucked out of me. I felt as if I was on the brink of death.

One little hit, just one little hit.

Barry had to drag me out of the bus because I refused to move. It was like they were enjoying seeing me suffer like this. I could of simply sorted it out myself. It wasn't like it was I was facing any sort of problem. The guys were just overreacting.

Lost in thought, I hadn't noticed Brad walking up me. He had a concerned look plastered along his face.

"Adam, is everything ok?"

"What do you think? Does it look like I'm enjoying myself?"

"Adam, I was just--"

"Won't you just shut the fuck up so we can get this over and done with!"

"Ok, fine." Brad sighed in disappointment, and walked over beside Neil.

"Ooo, someone's feisty."

"Neil."

"Sorry."

We finally made it to the door of the main office. Pushing it open, the group made their way to the front desk. I sat down on one of the many seats spaced around the room.

"Good morning, how may help you?" A women peered from the behind the front desk, trying to inquire on the situation.

"We have a friend we'd like to check into the rehabilitation facility."

"Ok, we'll need this friend of your's to fill out this form so we can gather the information that is needed." She leaned over and handed Brad the clipboard with sheet attached.

"May I have your name please, sir?"

"Brad Walst."

"Ok, thank you, hand me the sheet when you're done and we'll try and sort out the situation as soon as possible."

"Alright, thanks."

***

These two large doors began to open in front of me, revealing a women who looked to be one of the nurses. She glanced up to me, putting a smile on her face. It clearly wasn't genuine.

"Hello sir, you must be Mr. Gontier, am I correct?" I slowly nodded, confirming her question.

"Alright, right this way, everyone is so excited to meet you!"

She pushed open the one of the doors, just enough to make through. She guided me to a rug that was placed in the centre of the room, which was surrounded by chair each holding a different patient.

"Why don't you go introduce yourself to everyone, sir"