2 - We Don't Talk Anymore

Start from the beginning

I nodded before focusing out the passenger window, watching the trees fly past me. I started to notice a trend in my behaviour, I would laugh one minute and then feel completely miserable the next. I was falling into this funk that I didn't know how to get out of.

"We're here." Nikki's voice snapped me back to reality. Looking over my shoulder, I smiled at Nikki before getting out of the car to follow her into the restaurant. Nikki looked at me with concern but thankfully didn't press the matter as she quietly walked beside me. I could practically hear her mind ticking desperate to bombard me with questions, I knew how Nikki worked and today was no exception. Purposely, I kept my head held high and pretended as if I had no idea what was going on.

As soon as we both walked in, the rest of the group all erupted into loud obnoxious cheers, I tried to maintain a straight face but I didn't even last three seconds before I let out a laugh and ran towards my friends for a group hug, ignoring the sting on the side of my stomach. I couldn't keep up with all the conversations as everyone started talking over each other as they all took their place back in the booth. I felt content for the first time in two weeks, I was... not happy but sure close to it.

After a couple of minutes, everyone finally settled down and were all talking amongst themselves.  Michelle; who was sitting to my left, calmly placed her hand on my forearm, "How are you going? We heard you weren't too well and was in hospital?"

I tried to register Michelle's question but kept looking at Michelle's hand that was currently resting harmlessly on my scars that were hiding underneath my sweater, no one at this table knew about, all except Nikki. I slightly shook my head trying to regain my thoughts before quickly responding, "Im good. Getting stronger each day. Doctor said I was going to make a speedy recovery. What made you braid your hair?"

Technically what I told her was true but I almost rolled my eyes at myself for the stupid lame attempt at changing the subject, but thankfully Michelle wasn't one to comment, instead responding to my question, "I got tired of the fro you know? At least now I can't injure people." I let out a chuckle as the image of Michelle's hair poking at people came to mind.

After the food had arrived, everyone was conversing animatedly. I felt a sense of nostalgia as I looked around at my friends and couldn't believe how lucky I was to have them as friends. The shocking part was that I almost didn't even give them a chance when I first met them but decided to follow my gut feeling and thankfully, I was right. The payout was something that money couldn't buy.

I felt like I finally had a family.

"How come you're not eating Avery?" Mason had mumbled while shoving more food in his mouth.

My stomach turned just thinking about food, I hadn't really gained much of an appetite since leaving the hospital, only on the rare occasion. I found myself surviving on coffee more than anything, however occasionally forcing a meal down when certain people started to unnecessarily become concerned about me.

"Not hungry. Besides, it just means I can steal from you" I said as I cheekily grabbed a few fries before eating them, in hopes that me not eating wouldn't raise any alarm bells.

"You're lucky I love ya enough to allow THAT to happen!" Mason replied, pretending to be upset about his food getting stolen. I chuckled as I slowly ate the fries.

My smile however, well and truly dropped to the floor when Jaxon walked into the restaurant, I hadn't seen or spoken to him since that day he broke up with me. I almost forgot just how good looking he truly was, my eyes involuntarily moved to his lips as I thought about our kiss. But that thought was well and truly squashed and what hurt me the most was the sight of Brittany walking in next to him. I couldn't believe that after everything, he goes back to her. Come to think about it, I never did tell him about Brittany's involvement with Noah finding me. I never got a chance to explain it and now it was too late.