4- Fast little bugger

After the fiasco that happened in the other park yesterday, Mark decided to take Sean to another playground just in case. It was farther away than the other one but it was also bigger, with more open fields too.

There were no other kids in that park today. Sean decided to play with his toys for a while. He was mostly calm. Mark took this time to do some reading, occasionally looking up from the book to see where the boy was. He never left his side, looking quite content with his tonka trucks.

After a while however, Sean seemed to get bored of the toys and tugged on Mark's pant leg. "What's up, bub?"

"Can we play tag?"

Mark shrugged. Why not? He wasn't doing anything else besides reading something he could continue to read in the house. He put the book and toys away in the bag, closing everything and leaving it on the bench.

"Sure! Who's it?" He asked the boy as he stood.

"You!" Sean poked the babysitter's shin and ran, giggling happily. Mark started off jogging, considering the child was only two and probably not too fast. Oh, how wrong he was. He actually had to run to catch the little guy. He was incredibly fast, even with his little legs. Not to mention how he'd slow Mark down by running through the playground. Easy for him because of his size, while Mark had to bob and weave through the structures.

Mark seriously had to look into this, baby Sean's speed was unnatural. He really was a little ball of pure energy!

They ran all over the park multiple times. Mark lost count after about six. Eventually he caught him but by that time, he was tired and out of breath. Back to the bench he went while Sean continued playing throughout the whole playground. After getting bored of the swings and the slide, he moved on to the jungle gym.

Basically, Sean was a little monkey in the huge jungle gym. He had so much energy, it was insane. Plus the grip he had was impressive, he never slipped. He'd climb up higher and higher and never looked down. Of course, this made Mark nervous. His phone buzzed, distracting him for a second. As he answered a text from his stepmother, his mind wandered off. What if he fell? What if he gets hurt? What if -- "Mark!!" -- Shit.

When Mark looked over again, he saw little Sean's hoodie was snagged on one of the beams and he was dangling about 20 feet high. He felt his heart drop into his stomach and his face go pale. There was no one around to help. He ran into the jungle gym and stood directly under the hanging boy.

He looked down, whimpering. He couldn't reach any other beams or pull himself up, he was in the exact middle of the structure. "Sean, wiggle out of the jacket, I'll catch you!"

He shook his head as he quivered. "Too high!" He yelled.

"The top's already broken, I can't come up to get you! Trust me, I will catch you!" Mark yelled back at him. He shook his head to him again. The babysitter became more stressed and screamed. "JACK!"

Sean whimpered and covered his eyes with his whole arms. The rapid movement made the beam loosen more and caused the jacket to slip off it. They gasped in sync as the boy fell down, Mark couldn't breathe but he caught him just like he promised. The fright and momentum alone made Mark fall to his knees while holding the shivering child. He had both arms around him, as if he was shielding Sean. His left arm wrapped across his little frame, while his right arm was vertical against the boy's back, and his hand holding his head. It wasn't until Sean gripped Mark's shirt that Mark finally took a breath. Well, many breaths actually. He needed to calm himself down before helping Sean do the same.

"See? I gotcha... You okay?" The boy was still shaken up, he didn't answer. He had even soaked through Mark's clothes, in more ways than one. Poor little guy managed to soak through his diaper. He was too embarrassed to look Mark in the eye because of it. All he did was cry into Mark's shirt. The man was fairly grossed out but hugged the child closer, trying to calm him down.

"Oh, Jack. Just an accident, don't even worry about it, okay? Come on. We better go home and get you cleaned up." He continued to cry but Mark felt him nod. With that, he quickly gathered all Sean's things from the bench and headed over to his car. Luckily, there was still no one around, saving little Sean the embarrassment of a stranger seeing and possibly making fun of him. Of course, Mark wouldn't allow that. He hates bullying, he won't stand for it.

If it wasn't for the fact that Mark needed an extra pair of clothes, they would've gone straight back to the McLoughlin's. Instead, they made a quick stop at his house. He bathed Sean and dressed him in the little outfit he had in his bag just in case of an accident. Once the toddler was in clean and dry clothes, Mark left him in the living room with the TV on while he went to take a shower himself.

He came back minutes later only to find baby Sean, still moping and not looking at him.

At least he's not crying anymore...

"Come on, bud. I'm not mad at you if that's why you won't look at me. You got scared, it's okay." He spoke softly to him. Sean didn't face him but twiddled with his fingers instead.

"B-but I went wee-wee on you! Das gross!" Sean scrunched up his face and stuck his tongue out. He laughed at the little boy's voice.

"Yes, it's very gross, but you didn't mean to do it. So, I forgive you."

"Really?" He asked unsure.

"Really, really."

The child giggled. "You sound like Donkey from 'Shrek'!" Mark laughed too. Well... That's one way to call me a jackass.

They continued referencing the franchise the whole way home. Once there, Sean had finally forgotten about the embarrassing little incident and was back to being himself, interacting with Mark like he always did.