And Elizabeth Howard was possibly in grave danger.

I kept feeling like I was waiting. Waiting for an update from Ms. P. Waiting for news of more murders. Waiting for something to change.

I hadn't realized I'd been waiting to hear from Alexander himself until he called me before school on Thursday.

"Good morning," he said.

The sound of his voice made my heart race. "Hi. How are you?"

"I am well." There was silence for several seconds. "I was wondering if you would care to join me for dinner later this afternoon."

My pulse kicked up. It almost sounded like a date, although it was silly to think that Alexander would have the inclination to date these days.

"Sure."

"Is four thirty convenient for you?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Excellent. Until then." He hung up.

The day passed all too slowly. Everybody was talking about the Evening Report interview that night and what Elizabeth Howard might say. Would she deny that her books could have inspired someone to kill? Or would she look directly at the camera and appeal to the killer to turn himself in?

When I got home from school, Chrissy and Madison were watching a teen horror flick in the living room. I noticed the movie was nearing its end, which probably meant that they'd cut school for at least part of the afternoon. Mom had recently gotten a call from Chrissy's school about her ditching classes and had warned her not to do it again, but Chrissy didn't appear to be listening. Or maybe she was listening — to Madison instead of Mom.

"Hey," I said.

"Shhh!" Chrissy waved me away. It was a tense scene, with a willowy blonde exploring a basement with a flashlight. I definitely wasn't in the mood for horror movies right now. It felt like I was living in one.

Bypassing Chrissy and Madison, I went to my bedroom to start getting ready. Alexander would be picking me up in half an hour, and I wanted to look good. I kept the same faded jeans on but changed into a plum-colored top. I also put on some eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss, though I made sure to keep it subtle. The last thing I wanted was for Alexander to think that I was trying to impress him. But he was Alexander Banks, and I was, well, human.

I figured I'd wait for him in the lobby. At 4:25, I went back into the living room. The movie was over, and Chrissy and Madison were watching a talk show.

"I'm going out," I said, grabbing a jacket from the hall closet. "Tell Mom I won't be home for dinner. I should be back in a couple of hours."

"Do you have a book club meeting?" Madison asked.

She always referred to my friends as my "book club."

"No. I have a date."

It was worth it just to see Madison's eyes bug out.

Chrissy's head whipped around. "Is it that loser Alexander?"

"Maybe." And I walked out of the apartment, leaving her hanging.

Okay, so maybe the date part wasn't true, I thought, as I pressed the elevator button. But I didn't regret saying it. What I did regret was that she'd probably tell Mom, and Mom would ask more questions about Alexander. Oh, well. It was still worth it to see the looks on their faces.

When I stepped out of the elevator, I saw Ms. P.'s little blue Civic waiting out front. Alexander got out and opened the door for me, sweeping his hand gallantly.