Chapter Seven-Red Eyes

Start from the beginning

Drip, drip

Chirp! Chirp!

Wind rushed past my ears-other times it was gentle, tickling my neck. Everything in the forest was alive it seemed. The barks of the trees glowed burgundy. I eyed their intricate designs, and allowed their delicate leaves to fall on my head. I was sure I would reach Wolvenpraire looking like a tree-nymph.

"So what exactly is going on in your town Peyton?" Dylan asked tensely, staring straight ahead. I froze, his question putting me on guard. I had assumed that was what he and Raphael had been whispering about the whole time.

Faye and I shared a glance.

"You mean you don't know? Vampires... they're practically destroying it." I replied almost in a whisper as I stared down at the leaves. My heart panged. My parents...they destroyed my parents. I felt a warm hand rubbing my back softly and I glanced up at Faye gratefully. She smiled as if to say 'I got you'.

"Destroying your town? Because of you, am I right? That's why you had to leave." He stated voice gruff. He sounded like he wanted to say more to me, but somehow he didn't. I narrowed my eyes, the truth hurting way more than it should.

"Yes. Because of me...that's why Ayora sent me here." Golden strands of my hair fluttered before me and I looked ahead at the slowly paling beauty of the forest. Soon night would take over and by now I was pretty much accustomed to what happened at night.

He turned abruptly, blue eyes flashing.

"Yes. I was hoping you would understand that Peyton Clarke." I flinched at the way he spat my name. My heart beat faster as I realized Raphael and Faye were pretending to be oblivious.

"You're bringing danger to Wolvenpraire-again. The vampires will follow you wherever you go because you owe them something and they don't care about the collateral damage. I hope you understand that." He grunted, and turned again, walking faster.

There was nothing I could say.

My heart fell lower because I knew he was right. I was bringing danger to these people again-it followed me like a magnet. My parents had been collateral damage...and so had Emily-Rose. As shadows fell over our pathway, I looked to Raphael and Faye for answers...I wanted them to tell me he was wrong, that it wasn't true but they just wouldn't look at me.

Faye glanced downwards and Raphael walked straight ahead.

By the time we reached Wolvenpraire night had fully descended and my emotions were scattered all over the place. I was in-between feeling like I wanted to throw up and giggle non-stop. Butterflies terrorized my stomach for some odd reason and goose bumps were permanently imprinted on my skin. Dylan's outburst had not been random. Something happened while I was away or just before I got here...something that was my fault.

The black gates loomed open with an echo and we stepped into a cloud of misty smoke. I coughed, wrapped up in the grey and for a second losing vision. Raphael, Faye and Dylan were out of my sight. I started to panic but then it was over. I stepped through to the other side and saw them right beside me. Relief settled on my chest as I glanced around.

His green eyes met mine for a minute and Raphael looked away.

"You okay?" he whispered to me, breath making my ear tingle. I couldn't speak so I nodded numbly. The pathway beneath our feet was littered with smooth stones that sparkled under the hazy night. I was hypnotized by everything.

"You have to stay with us Peyton-we share a cabin on the farther side of Wolvenpraire." Faye was saying while my gaze was focused on the sight of an elegant white wolf a few feet away. Its coat was a pure silky sheen and he gazed back knowingly, indigo eyes vibrant. I was thrilled to be so close to a wolf again, and the hairs on my arm stood on end.