Chapter 1

The war.
US army, major Steven rogers and srgt. James Barnes.
They've always been best friends, followed each other on the school yard and even to the battlefield. That is, until here was an extreme decision to make.
Terrorists, attacking a middle school in Iraq. There were the terrorists outside of the school, littering the town and many inside, killing and threatening children and teachers inside.
They were just outside the small town, behind collapsed walls and yells over gunshots and explosion and the yells and shouts of men and women.
"Major Rogers! We need to blow the place!"
"No! We-we find a way! The civilians-!"
"The civilians are dying anyway! There are terrorists everywhere!" One of the oldies shouted.
"We can find a way-!"
"Steve!" Bucky yelled from next to him. Steve turned around and looked at him. "There's no other way! We have to!"
Stew hesitated for a few seconds before another man shouted his name before a bullet shot through his neck and collapsed to the ground with one man covering him and dragging him away to where it was more safe. Steve nodded and few times and called in air support. "This is major Rogers!"
"I hear ya!" That guy, always says that, never professional or serious, but always followed orders.
Steve took another deep breath before ordering him to bomb the building with the most terrorists, the school. He hated it. His eyes were closed as he gave the orders and almost took it back when he answered, "copy."
Bucky patted his shoulders and the ground shook and rocks flew everywhere.
The yells, screams, seemed to only get louder, they weren't, but to steve, he heard nothing other than them. Still, they moved out and started taking down the rest of them.
Steve had made his way to the broken walls and piles of rubble that used to be a school, filled with living children, but now, littered with their bodies.
He turned around and saw a little girl. Screaming, crying and alone. He ran to her, to help, to get her out, to get her to safety. He wrapped his arm around her and started to pick her up when three gunshots were fired. One going straight through his shoulder, another lodged in his lower abdomen and, the third... He looked over to the girl who had gone limp in his arms and fell from his grasp. Bullet hole, right between the eyes.
He collapsed next to her and tried to shake her awake repeating "no, no, no"'s even if he knew she wasn't coming back. Blood covered his hands, the girls blood, he wasn't even paying attention to his own wounds.
Bucky saw him collapse, and knew he was shot, but saw no reason as to why he still sat there, exposed to anyone who tried shooting at him again. He ran after him and started dragging him away, but he held onto the girl until he could shut her eyes. "Steve! Come on!" He shouted over gunfire. Steve let go and let Bucky take his arm and hold it over his shoulder to carry him back to camp.
Where, he propped him on a cot and let the trauma surgeons take over. Bucky was ordered to grab a rag and stuff it in steves mouth to muffle the yelling, since, they ran out of anesthesia and pain killers after the last attack which injured and killed a lot of their men.
Bucky held him down and did as he was told. Steve yelled and but down as the surgeon started removing the bullets, until he fell unconscious from the pain.
When he woke, Bucky was sitting next to his cot playing with his lighter.
Steve hissed and groaned, catching buckys attention. Leaning forward and put the lighter away, he asked how he felt and got him some water. He tried sitting up while he was getting it and stared at his still blood stained hands.
He patted his back and handed him the cup. "Hey, you did what you had to." It hurt him that Bucky seemed ok with blowing up the school, but they were at war and sometimes they had to do things like this, but always tried to avoid it. This time, there was no avoiding it.
Steve was about to say something else, but the sound of gunshots were heard. Steve tried getting up to go see what was going on, but Bucky pushed him back down. "Stay here!" He shouted and ran out of the tent. Steve still followed, hissing after every step and he clutched onto his side. He clinched to one of the poles and leaned on it until a missile exploded a dozen meters in from of him, where Bucky had run to.
The power from the blast sent him flying backwards but he quickly stood up and limply ran to the site of the explosion, looking for Bucky. Who laid face down in the dirt and rubble, his left arm completely blown off and blood puddling around it.
He yanked him up and dragged him back to the tent with his own men falling and gunshots firing just past him.
He got there and a few of the surgeons took over. Another explosion went off, and the next thing he knew, he was in a chopper heading to a more secure location with Bucky and a few other men.
Steve refused to go back after that. Giving the order to kill a bunch of terrorists along with civilians, then watching the young girl die, Bucky almost dying and being sent home after losing his arm. He could do it again. So he went home with Bucky.
Small apartment in Brooklyn, and a few more hospital visits.
Buck lived with steve, just because he physically couldn't take care of himself yet and he had quite severe PTSD.
Once he got his prosthetic, a very advanced prosthetic he could actually move like a human arm, he half hated it and loved it. The one problem was that he couldn't take it off himself, it stayed on.