Snape, Lily and James

Start from the beginning

“So when are you going to ask her out?” asked Sirius as James eyed Lily Evans up from the other side of the common room.

“I don’t know.”

“Scared she won’t say yes?”

“No!”

“Yes you are,” laughed Lupin as he finished his Defence Against the Dark Arts essay. “I’ve written two and a half rolls of parchment, do you think that’s enough?”

“I thought he asked for one?” said James as he messed up his hair.

“He did but I did a little extra.”

“Trust Moony to do that,” said Sirius as he laughed at James. “You know she still won’t go out with you; I heard her telling Cassie she was surprised you could still walk your head’s so big the other day.”

“She was talking about me?” asked James as his eyes lit up.

“Yes and what she was saying wasn’t good,” pointed out Sirius as Lily and her friends left for the girls’ dormitories.

“Hey Evans!” he shouted suddenly as she turned around, looking for the person who had called her name. When she saw it was James she frowned. “What?”

“I was wondering if I could borrow your… Charms essay; I’m… two inches short.”

She frowned as she said, “Potter, our Charms homework this week was to practise; we didn’t have an essay.”

“Last week’s? You got the highest in the class, like always? I have to re-do mine,” he said hopefully as he prayed he was correct; he vaguely remembered doing an essay the week before but he definitely didn’t have to re-do it.

“Then do it yourself,” she said coldly as she walked upstairs and James returned to his seat, Sirius, Lupin and Pettigrew laughing like hyenas.

***************************************************************************

“What did you think you were doing Sirius? He could have died!” shouted James.

“I wasn’t thinking! I’m sorry! I just thought it would be funny-”

“Funny? Funny that Snape nearly found out Remus’ secret? Funny that I had to save him?”

“I didn’t realise-”

Remus was deathly pale as he sat watching the two boys argue. “Don’t be angry at him James, it’s my fault.”

“No, there is no way it’s your fault that Snivellus decided to follow you; James is right, it’s all my fault. I should never have told him how to get past the Whomping Willow.”

“I should never have thought I could be a normal pupil here,” said Lupin sadly. “I nearly got someone killed.”

“Shut up Remus! It’s not your fault at all! You can’t help it,” said James angrily. “It’s Sirius’ fault for telling Snape how to get past the tree.”

“But he wouldn’t have been in danger if I hadn’t been there.”

“He wouldn’t have been in danger if someone hadn’t told him how to find you,” pointed out James.

“Remus, it’s not your fault. If anyone’s, it’s mine and Snivelly’s. He was the one who decided to follow you, snooping around the castle at night and he wouldn’t have succeeded if I hadn’t told him how to get past the tree.”

“But he could have been killed! I could have killed someone!”

“But you didn’t because James stopped him.”