CHAPTER IX

The chair slid back and hit the glass as Cassandra threw her bag against it. She paced around her office for a while with her hands on her hips. Julia walked in to find her that way, strolling across the floors. She strolled casually towards her with a bottle of her pills. Cassandra felt like ripping the bottle from Julia's hands and throwing it at the wall in anger. How could she stand there and listen to all the nonsense coming out of Harrison Clark's mouth? All she did was look at him and remain breathless instead of doing something, doing anything.

"Miss Hernández, you need to take your pills; you don't look good at all."

She was fuming mad, that's what she was. "That man is a bastard to his very core. Can you imagine the audacity of that man to tell me that, businesses didn't have to suffer because my..."

She caught her breath and leaned forward to hold herself up with her table. She felt a bit lightheaded, and everything in her sights was going blurry. Julia rushed to her side to push a chair behind her, she helped her sit, then left in search of some water. Cassandra placed her palm against her chest and tried to slow her breathing down.

"Cassandra, forgive me for this, but you kind of did this to yourself." She sucked in a long breath, turning to face Julia with disbelief slapped across her face. "I know you don't want to hear it, but you shouldn't have gone there in the first place. The first thing that man made clear to you was that he would never, emphasis on 'never', give you his father's company. His company. Why in the world are you so convinced that he would let it go like that? Just give it to you and walk away? Why are you so desperate for that company?"

"I remove anyone that stands in my way, no matter how small the threat seems. I don't like surprises."

"Harrison Clark has never challenged you. He is succeeding without impeding on your company's wealth. Yes, people from our side are deviating, but it doesn't mean he is close to besting you. Cassandra, Harrison is not..."

"It's not about him!" Cassandra threw back before Julia could even mention his name. she took in another deep breath bracing her hands on her hips. "It's not about him. It's about...him. Harrison Clark. He is everywhere."

"Cassandra, he isn't. You need to get over this before you invent a new phobia."

"He is not! He is not!" She marched over to her window and pointed at the imposing billboard just below it. Like a taunt parked in front of her company, it advertised his company name boldly and proudly across its surface. "What do you call that? He is on every paper, on every gossip feed, on the billboard in front of our office. Everywhere I turn, all I can see is Harrison Clark. It bothers me, so much. I don't know why but it bothers me so, so much. I just need it... I just need it to stop."

"When we met, I could never understand why you always wanted to be first in the business. After a few months, it was easy to realise that you liked it at the top. Not for the fame, or the mentions, or the money. You just liked it up there. I understand your worry, especially when it comes to this new company, but I no longer fully understand it. This is not about the company anymore, is it?"

"I just... I just want him gone, even I don't know why anymore. I don't want to see the billboard when I walk into my office in the morning. I don't want to see his face when I open a magazine or get a newsflash on my phone."

"Taking out his business would not be easy, and it's not healthy for you either. You are an amazing business figure here, the best of the best. If he wants to rise, let him, you already have a head start so just keep running, just keep evolving, but don't let your mind be sickened over him. Move on, find something else. For your sake."

Cassandra shook her head, her shoulder sagging. "I did make a big mistake today."

"I am aware."