Chapter Eleven

"Gabby? Gabby wait!"

I ignored him and brushed past his shoulder, I couldn't deal with him right now, not after the way he had acted at lunch. It was out of the ordinary for Rob to be any less than kind, and it had shocked me a bit, then again I couldn't expect Rob to be oblivious.

It was the way he handled it that hurt me, never once had he stormed off. Even when we would yell at each other, normally about something stupid like Rob not knowing how to work a microwave, or me not knowing basic math formulas. It was all petty and unneeded, but today seemed a lot different. It felt hostile.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting.

I stopped in my tracks, "What?" I snapped.

I instantly regretted it though, watching as his face fell, and he released a huff of air.

"Gabs, I'm sorry, okay. I'm just not feeling myself and I didn't mean to take it out in you, I shouldn't of stormed off like that and I don't really know why I did, I feel awful, I hate it when we don't talk and I guess I just really don't like the way Valentino looks at you. I don't want you getting mixed up in the wrong people, and I know you probably wouldn't even spare him a second glance but-- he's just-- he's just bad news Gabby. Everyone knows it and I don't want you to get hurt or even involved because you deserve better, you deserve a lot better..." he spoke quickly, and I tried my hardest to listen to all the words he was spluttering out.

He drifted off after his long rant, I was surprised to say the least. My eyebrows shifted up, and I sighed, waddling over to him.

"Chill, Rob. It's fine."

He threw his head back, and rubbed at his red face, as a grin broke out. He looked back at me and smiled awkwardly, itching the back of his neck. "I'm sorry, Gabby."

Playfully, I bumped shoulders with him as we walked out of school. "Me too."

I faked a smile and buried my worries under it, I prayed that he wouldn't ask any more about it, or say anything. I felt like screaming every time I thought about lying to him. He was my best friend, and he certainly didn't deserve anything less than the whole, honest truth.

But obviously I had to completely destroy any little shred of honesty I had in me, thanks to Adam.

"Why does he creep on you like that?" Rob pondered, peeking a glance at me.

I pushed my tongue to the side of my mouth before uttering another lie, "I don't know," I managed to string out some aspects of the truth, it was true that I still didn't know why he was so interested in me, I hadn't blabbed anything, and still wouldn't.

"I'm not sure he's even looking at me?" And that was a lie.

He nodded half-heartedly, my words flowing straight through him.

I watched as his eyes glazed over slightly as an awkward silence settled over the both of us.

  "I-um... yeah. I need to catch the bus on time." I stated, slowly backing away. "I'll see you later, Rob."

  He looked down at his shoes, scratching the back of his neck again, "Yeah, you too."

  Without looking back, I scurried away from him, eager to escape the awkwardness.

★★   ★★   ★★

I tugged my purple blanket tighter around myself as I waddled to put the heating on, my muscles were stiff with the frosty air attacking them every chance it got. Winter was well on it's way, frost would grow like a fungus in the mornings, creating the walk to the bus a tiresome effort, which I dreaded every bitter morning.