Chapter 6: Something Else

Start from the beginning

I decide to make it worse on him. I take a step forward and point a finger at him, "Where did you come from? Where did you go? Where did you come from, Cotton Eyed Joe?" I chorus in enthusiasm.

"And I'm the spawn of Satan? With a voice like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you were my sibling," he says casually and then blinks as he does a double take. "You spoke to me! After three weeks, you finally spoke to me!" he sputters in disbelief.

I don't reply for he is sadly mistaken. 

I glance at Bells and she reads my mind before explaining it to him, "Code 17 of 137 states clearly that if one is ignoring another party, singing is allowed and does not count as direct communication."

Mason glances from Bells to me and I simply nod, confirming the statement. 

I am surprised that he is so enthralled to have me talking to him again. Isn't it supposed to be heaven when I stay silent? Those were once his words, now I am making him eat them for breakfast. 

"Where do all these codes that you two always mention come from in any case? It drives me insane! How many freaking codes are there?!" he asks, annoyed.

"Over a thousand," Bell answers casually. "It comes from the 'Bequeela Book of Codes of Life'. It's a mix of our names put together." 

A round of applause for Sherlock Holmes! 

"Aqueela came up with the name. Bequeela for peculiar. Has a nice ring to it. Very catchy," she adds.

I stop dancing to stifle a laugh.

Peculiar...Bequeela...too brilliant! Gets me every time. Such a classic. I take full credit in that one.

Mason scrunches up his nose in distaste at the name. "Original," he murmurs, Bell's hanging onto every word he says. "Can't believe you two sat and came up with over a thousand codes. You both have way too much free time on your hands. Tell me, how do you get one party to stop ignoring the other party?"

"Code 1 of 1: Apologize. It falls hand in hand with Code 2: Forgiveness," Bell informs the clueless moron.

Mason tears his gaze off of his girlfriend and brings his eyes to me.

I grin and wave innocently.

His eyes stray back to Bells again as he grumbles out unhappily, "Do I really have to? Is there no other way?" he asks, unwilling.

Bell narrows her blue-green eyes at him. He gives in. He always gives in for Bells and he will do it for the rest of his life, or so help me I'll tear off his muscle tendons and then strangle him with them.

He sucks in a deep breath before slowly turning to face me with a look of contempt, "I'm...I-I...I am sorry." 

I cup a hand to my ear, prolonging this for as long as possible. 

"Iamsorry," he mutters quickly and quietly. 

Bells gives him another glare as he repeats himself. This time, I secretly record his apology over my phone to blackmail him at a later stage.

Keep your friends close and keep your enemies on your phone.

"I am sorry, okay? I miss our hateful banter. Playful banter? Whatever. Either way, I miss it," he, my nemesis, confesses. 

I am touched by the sincerity in his voice. It's almost as if he really meant it. I'll give him props for skilled acting.

I smile up at him and carefully remove my earphones. 

I take a run-up and pounce on him, hugging the life out of him...hopefully. 

Bell laughs at her boyfriend's reaction as he frowns from beneath my grip.