CHAPTER SIXTY NINE

Start from the beginning

I walked beside Natalie amd Calum, my mind on other things as I payed a little attention to their conversation.

"How about a nice Christmas sweater?" Natalie laughed.

"Natalie I swear to God if you give me a sweater it will be the end of our relationship." Calum replied. Natalie giggled and wrapped her hand around Calum's. It was quite cute. I peered across the parking lot and saw my mother's car parked as she waited for me.

"I'm over there," I sighed. "You know, still getting picked by my mom."

"When are you gonna get a car, girl!" Natalie laughed.

"I don't even know!" I replied, excepting the hug she gave me. I waved to them, and quickly walked across the parking lot, pulling the door open and setting down into the seat beside my mom.

"Hey," I puffed, throwing my bag to the floor and looking over to her. She met my gaze and smiled.

"How was your day?" She asked. I was relieved, because she didn't seem weird today. Thank God.

"It was good," I replied. "And yours?"

She was quiet for a couple moments. "Fine." She finally said. I looked over to her again, but her eyes were glued to the road ahead of us.

"Mom-"

"I got the christmas tree!" She suddenly bursted out. We stopped at a red light and she flashed a smile at me, but I wasn't really convinced. I didn't know whether I should continue to ask what was actually wrong with her, or just go along with her sudden burst of happiness.

"Really?" I grinned. I decided on the second option.

"Yeah! It's the perfect size, too. I'm gonna need you to help me out and decorate it when we get home."

I was confused at her words, because we usually all hang up the ornaments and lights as a family. I guess we're not doing that this year. Well shit.

"Sure," I replied after an awkward pause.

...

Around 7:30, I was sitting on the couch with the TV on, texting Ashton and Natalie. She was still trying to figure out what to get Calum for Christmas, as was I for Ashton. I could actually think of many things he physically needs (versus just wanting) but I want to get something special for him. Oh well, I'm sure something will come to me. It has to be pretty fucking soon, though.

My thoughts were interrupted by the garage door opening, and my dad walking in. He's home later than usual, but I guess I should be used to that by now. He carried his brief case in his right hand, his left hand running through his thinning hair and a frustrated look on his face.

"Hi honey." My mom said quietly.

"Hi," he grumbled as he threw his breif case onto the table. I took my bottom lip under my teeth as I watched my mother walk into the kitchen, an uncomfortable feeling developing in the air.

"Hi dad." I muttered; he hasn't seemed to notice I was here as well. He looked over to me, a slight smile popping up on his face. "Hey, Brooke."

He turned to leave, and I felt my eyebrows come together in frustration. That was a very, very sad enterance and greeting to his family.

"We got a tree." I spoke up, my voice monotone. My father turned, and looked over to the corner of the room. He nodded, and walked off.

My mother signed from the kitchen as she got out the things to make dinner. My mind began to wonder off again, thinking of all the possibilities that could be going on. It was quite annoying, actually; not knowing if there is actually something to worry about, or nothing at all. I hated just sitting here, not speaking up or asking questions. After a couple minutes of an awkward silence, I stood up, stuffing my phone in my pocket.