Chapter 2

The ship landed in the base's hangar. I draped Cassian's jacket on my arm and helped him out. Mon Mothma greeted us. "You disobeyed my orders, Captain Andor..." she began, her face firm. But then she relaxed slightly. "But you stole the plans. We have given them to Leia Organa. She has been reviewing them. Good job," she said. "You too, Jyn," I nodded, thanking her. "Medical Center is down that way," she pointed towards a building attached to the Base. "Thank you," I replied. Cassian put his arm around me as we walked towards the center. It was full of soldiers and smelled of iron and dirt. I saw one of the workers in white rush by. I stopped her.

"Can you help us?" I asked. She looked at me and frowned. "I'm sorry, we're full. After the last battles, we've been filled. I'm very sorry," then she ran off. "I told you. We should not have come here. We need to go somewhere else," Cassian mentioned. I sighed. "But we helped deliver the plans. Can't they just make room?!" I exclaimed in frustration. "Let's go, Jyn," he muttered. He was feeble and in extreme amounts of pain. Yet, he'd rather fly away with me than get the medical attention he needed. I began walking back outside towards the ship. "Not until you're aided," I protested.

Then he grabbed both my shoulders and looked at me straight in the eyes. His eyes were a handsome shade of brown. His hair, a brown black. "Jyn, I'm fine. I don't need medical attention right now," he reassured me. But I wasn't reassured. I saw through his lie. He was injured and barely able to stand. "Let's just...lets just return to the ship," he suggested. We walked back to the ship and he collapsed against the ship's walls. I kneeled besides him, shaking him. "Cassian!" I shouted his name. No answer. He was unresponsive. "Cassian!" I shouted again. Blood began to dribble out of his mouth and his eyes were glazed over. I checked his pulse on both his neck and his wrist. It was faint. I frantically searched the ship for the medical supplies he had talked about. Finding none, I knelt down next to him again. "I'm going to get some supplies. Please don't leave me while I'm gone," I whispered. Then I ran back towards the medical station. The lady saw me again. "I can't help you, I told you!" She exclaimed. But I shoved passed her towards a large cabinet of supplies. I shoved everything into a pouch I found on the floor.

"Hey! What are you doing?!" One of the medics shouted. I ignored him and kept grabbing tools, medicines, syringes. I didn't even know how to use half of it. Better to grab everything and figure it out in the ship than sit and examine everything now. I  took one last glance of the cabinet before running back towards the ship with medics shouting after me. "I'm back," I panted, closing the hatch. He remained motionless against the wall as I poured the contents of the bag onto the floor, making sure the glass objects were still intact. Then I examined every I had. 5 syringes, 4 bottles of meds, 2 rolls of bandages, tweezers, scissors, gloves, and cleaning solution. Then I realized I had left anesthetic out of the pouch. I couldn't go back. They would probably take me away and leave Cassian there to die.

I took a deep breath and filled 4 syringes with the 4 bottles of meds. Then I put on the gloves and rolled up Cassian's shirt to reveal the hideous looking wound. But as I sat there, I knew I couldn't do it myself. Unexpectedly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. First, I was terrified it would be someone taking me away. But then as I turned to see who it was, it was the medic lady that told me to leave. She had an armful of supplies. "I'm on break right now. Let me help you," she said. I let her take over after that, only assisting her by handing and taking instruments. "I'm out of anesthetic..." she bit her lip. "He'll be fine. You're almost done, right?" I questioned. She nodded. Then she gathered all of the supplies and left before I could thank her.

For the remainder of the day, I sat besides Cassian and stared at the wall. The lady had returned to give food and a blanket for the night. "I think it's best if you stayed within the ship," she explained. "I agree, thank you very much for your sacrifice," I replied. She left and I ate. There was only one blanket so I covered Cassian and then sat on the pilot chair to sleep. The rest of the night was cold and uncomfortable. I couldn't find a good position to stay in and I was freezing. I contemplated whether or not to take Cassian's blanket, but I decided to let him keep it. He needed it more than I did. I ended up sleeping on the ground besides the seats.

However, in the middle of the night, I realized I had been moved. My head rested on Cassian's jacket, the blanket over me, and I was in his arms. I was warm and I felt protected...a feeling I haven't felt in a long time. Then I rolled towards him and whispered into his ear, "Thank you,"