"Daddy, you work too hard. You should give up your position as sheriff. Let someone else... someone younger... worry about it," Caroline fretted, folding her hands over her lap after straightening her skirts around her legs.

"I'm still young enough to walk without needing help crossing the street. I think I'm young enough to keep the peace in Blackwell. There's never any trouble here, you know that, Caroline." Wyatt spoke with the patience he was known for. A small smile graced his tan and work weathered face as he watched his eldest daughter sigh and look down at her hands.

"I just worry about you, daddy, that's all."

Edith bit her tongue to keep any smart mouthed comments from escaping her lips. If Caroline was so worried, why did she stay away for such long amounts at a time? She always came back to Blackwell telling Edith that their mother missed them and loved them, but did she do anything to change the family's separation? No. If anything, in Edith's opinion, Caroline helped the problem along by siding with their mother.

While Wyatt remained here, working hard and facing the nosy citizens of the town while also putting out the infernal rumors that blazed like wild fires, Emmy Lou lounged in the city, sipping tea with the wealthy and spending the money that Wyatt sent to her. Or at least, that's how Edith imaged it...

Emmy Lou hadn't even written to her youngest daughter. Had she forgotten about her? Did she care at all? It didn't matter that she was in Boston, Emmy Lou was still Edith's mother. Was it simply that Edith was not enough for her mother to to worry with? The young girl wasn't sure but she wouldn't deny that she harbored hurt feelings and an aching heart. She wanted her mother to come home, to hug her and speak the comforting words she used to. To Edith if felt as if Emmy Lou had been gone an eternity. She missed her mother dearly. But she would never admit that. Not to anyone.

 "Evenin', Sheriff. I see you've decided to treat two fine ladies to supper."

Edith was broken from her thoughts by the sound of the deep male voice speaking beside the table. She glanced up to find the man holding his hat over his chest with one hand, a respectable gesture in the presence of women and a man of the sheriff's importance. Dusty and worn clothing covered his form from his work boots to the collar of his dark shirt. The evidence of hard work was clear to anyone who took a moment to spare a glance at the young man. Skin, tanned and calloused from years of earning money the hard way, stretched across the muscles of his arms and any bit of his chest that was visible, however little. Tawny hair, streaked faintly with blonde that shined from the light in the restaurant, covered his head in a disheveled mess that made him look younger than his actual age of twenty five. His humble brown eyes glanced at Caroline more than once in the few moments it took for the sheriff to speak.

"They talked me into it," Wyatt said, chuckling. "Sam, I know you've met Edith, but I don't think you've met my oldest daughter Caroline. She's visiting from Boston for a few days."

Sam glanced at Caroline, a smile stretching across his lips and brightening those honey brown eyes. After tipping his head in greeting, he took Caroline's gloved hand gently in his own large and rough one. He dipped down slightly as he brought her hand up and planted a soft kiss against Caroline's knuckles. Once Sam had released her and straightened up to his full hight of over six feet, he said, "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Caroline. I'm Samuel Martin, Sam to everybody who cares to learn my name. Excuse me for being bold but you're a mighty pretty sight to see in Blackwell."

Normally, Caroline could've easily dismissed the man standing beside her. He was hardly her type. Hard working men were all fine and well, but Caroline wanted someone who could treat her to the finer things of life, who could talk high society topics with her and take her to fancy dinners and romantic dances. She was usually attracted to doctors, lawyers, or the like. Even though she'd been raised in the small town of Blackwell, living in Boston had shown her that the grass was greener on the other side of life. Caroline desired a man who was well educated and wealthy.