"Yeah, she is. Nothin' like me. So, Carlie's your blood sister, or...?"

"She's adopted too. Not my blood sister." She said, servin' some more water to herself "I was about five when she came along. Also a baby. She's about as fun as the plague."

"And you love her to death."

"Anyone who hurts her will have to deal with me" She answered, and I couldn't help feeling this was a warnin', of some sort.

"And is Carlie a diabetic too?"

She seemed to get nervous and drank some more water, shruggin'.

"What's with you and the water?" I asked, frowning.

"Just thirsty."

I read that diabetic could get thirsty if they were hyperglycemic.

"Are you ok? You're not hyperglycemic, are you?" I asked, lookin' at her with all my focus as if I could see the high glucose in her eyes or hands.

"Fine" She snapped, squinting at me.

Ok. So the diabetic topic was a sensible one... Still. I didn't want her to get hurt, and if she was hyperglycemic, she would get hurt, right?

"So who's the college guy you've been datin'?"

She made a crooked grin like the question amused her. Or maybe she was thinkin' about that cabrón.

"Oh, you know... Just some really hot and smart guy" She said, shruggin'.

"Really? What's his name?"

"Peter."

"How old is he?"

"Twenty-two."

"What's his major?"

"He's in med school."

"What school?"

"Perdue," She said, after two seconds.

"Perdue doesn't have a med school," I grinned at her right away; ah... got you.

She stopped drinkin' for a second, blushed like hell, then kept drinkin', shruggin'.

"You're thinkin' vet medicine, right?"

"Exactly. Duh." She snorted , and I did my own cocky grin "What?"

"You're not dating, are you?"

"Sure I am."

"No, you're not."

"Oh, yeah? And how do you know?" She said, looking bored.

"You're too busy with family and school. You wouldn't be datin' a guy that's miles away. Especially not a stupid college bimbo."

"Mike's not a college bimbo."

"Thought his name was Peter."

She blushed even more, and I couldn't help to feel my gut tight.

Shit. Just... shit! I knew this was a bad idea...

"Whatever," She said, doin' that bored look again.

"Stop that shit!" I snapped, and she stared at me, surprised; people near us stared as well "Stop givin' me fuckin' shrugs and dull looks. I'm not a fuckin' jock you can just ignore. You're my date, and you'll give me your time and attention. That's the least a polite person should do."

I saw in her face that she was about to snap back at me some witty comment. She knew she could shut me up with a few words, like: You're pathetic. Or: You're just not worth the time. Or worse: I'm embarrassed to be seen with you, you piece of shit!

Still, she swallowed more water, coughed a little, straighten her back, and didn't say a word.

"So what about you? Are you dating Nina?"

I blinked. Seriously? She was actually talkin', now?! I should've yelled at her earlier...

"God, no. Not now, not ever."

"Why? You two look perfect for each other" She grinned, like a snake.

"Bein' perfect isn't really my number one focus, Copper Girl, that's you." I snapped back and immediately regretted my words as she winced "Huh... Yeah, no... We're not together."

"Really? 'Cause it looked like you were, in the cafeteria, a few days ago."

"Oh? You were checking us out?" I teased, and she made a face.

"It's hard not to notice when you're putting on a show."

"Sure..."

"So, you're not dating her. Why?"

"Are you kiddin' me?! She's a whore."

"And?"

"I don't date whores." I said, frownin' "I don't actually date."

She stopped her glass midway. I surprised her, I could see it in her face. Still, she drank again.

"What about Blonde Fuck?"

"Who?" She asked, frownin'.

"Darren, the Jock."

"Blonde Fuck? Seriously?"

"Gotta call him somethin'."

"And all you came up with was that wonderful nickname?" She grunted, pressing her lips together.

"Are you datin' him or not?"

"He's one of my best friends," She told me.

"Meanin'?"

"Meaning, even if it's none of your business, no, I'm not dating him. Never did, never will. We're just really good friends."

Awesome!

"So you're available."

"For what?"

I gave her a sour look, and she made a sneer again.

"Don't even dare. This is a one-time thing." She started, her palms up "I'm not dating you."

"Don't hate it until you've tried it" I grinned, starin' at my own glass of water.

"Whatev- Sure" She changed her words, and I smiled; she was already changin' her mind, even if she wasn't aware of it.

The waiter came with our food, and as he did, she quickly checked for wrong things in her dish. I kept starin' at the nervous waiter. I'm sure he didn't forget my threat, so I'd bet he made everythin' as Whitney asked.

"Ok. Thank you" She said to the waiter, smiling; the guy actually took a deep breath and made a small bow.

Now, that's more like it!

"Enjoy your meal," I said, and she smiled at me, a real smile.

Damn... I was so gonna get into trouble...