Chapter 1

The red headed girl ran down the edge of the beach, her thick, curly hair bouncing against her bright blue tank top. She had a peaceful smile lurking across her lips. She was running with her little bulldog, Jared running who was moving his legs like a train through the small waves to keep up. His short, pepper black fur was soaked, but he didn't mind to be cooled down. It was the summer of 2016. No one cared. It was a way to get away from all the drama of the Earth. The police brutality, terrorism, the so called 'peaceful' protesters, and the election. Frankie, was 23 and had headed here with her best friend (since freshman year) Carter. He had pale skin, light blonde shaggy hair that covered his topaz colored eyes sometimes.... Frankie thought he was perfect.

      Frankie finally met Carter at the edge of the pier. Frankie spoke first, "Hey... I heard a few guys talking about some light waves tonight... wanna go surfing?" "Well sure... We can take Jared to the hotel room, get ready then go.", sounds good to me! ", she responded playfully with a bright smile. They headed towards Carter's old truck and got in, putting Jared in the back seat. Carter started the ignition and they were off, bound towards their small hotel. They were driving down a dirt road between what seemed like an ocean of palm trees. They eventually made it to the hotel. Frankie saw that Carter had a few specks of sand on his cheek, so she used her thumb to brush it off lightly. Carter was blushing, careful not to look in her direction. Frankie noticed and began to feel heat rush to her face. They carefully walked inside the hotel, taking a sharp left down the corner to race up the fire exit instead of use the elevators. Frankie was almost to their room level when she fell backwards... right into Carter's arms. At that moment when their lips collided accidentally she knew that this was the moment she had been waiting for and she might as well savor it.