Chapter Three : His Offspring [ Part 1 ]

"Arigatou gozaimashita[1]. Please come again."The short plump lady grabbed her bags and left, not giving me the smallest smile or slightest sign of gratitude. My glare followed her up until she finally exited the store. With a small feeling of exhaustion, I sighed and slumped down on the small metal stool I usually placed behind the counter for my own convenience.

"Rough night, Bo-chan?" A familiar voice asked.

I turned up to meet the gentle eyes that seemed to never waver in the kindness and goodness that is Mai. With a heavy sigh, I bent forward, placing my chin in the palm of my hand, giving an indistinct mumble that I liked to pass off as Yes.

That mild smile of hers tugged at the corners of her mouth. "Ah, Bo." She said in a jaunty tone. "You seem tired. Staying up late?" A smirk tweaked onto her lips. "I hope you're not fooling around with teenage boys, again."

"Again? W-What are you-" I sat up straight, frowning through a flustered look and heated cheeks. "I-I don't even mess around with boys! What kinda girl do you think I-"

She gave a musical laugh, bringing a hand to her stomach lightly, "Calm down, Bo-chan." She chuckled and leaned over, poking at my nose as if I were a child, which to her, I actually was. "You know I just like to push your buttons~."

And she certainly did. Mai was one of the very few people. . actually, probably the only person I let past my walls. Around her, I felt oddly less defensive. I don't know. I just kind of get this weird vibe from her that I can't just shut out. I mean, she's warm, friendly, kind, and has a million ways to make you smile even on your lowest of days. In some sort of way, she reminded me of my mom.

She's the only person that bothers to care for me.

I puffed my cheeks a bit and huffed, shaking my head as I crossed my arms, "Anyways," I tried to start again as she covered a light giggle. I face forward and leaned down again, resting my forearms on my knees. "I just didn't get much sleep last night. Kind of got freaked out by something and I ended up sleeping restlessly." Which I did. Once that voice spoke to me, I felt instantly on edge and on guard. It couldn't leave my mind as well as the words imprinting in my mind. It was just kinda hard to fall asleep after that.

"Ah." She nodded understandingly, "Watching scary movies lately, huh? I see."

I couldn't think of a reason to deny what she had said, even though it wasn't true. I mean, I couldn't tell her about the 'mystic voice' that spoke to me out of the blue last night. Knowing her, it'd just make her laugh. So with a sigh and a shrug, I sat up straight, "Yeah. I should probably lay off of those for a while. ."

She gave another nod, "It will do you good." A sweet smile pressed back onto her lips as she tugged her purse over her left shoulder, "Well I better head home now. My grand-kids are coming over for dinner." She said, her smile growing at the thought. It must be nice to have a family. "So, Ja-ne, Bo-chan~." She said before leaning to me and giving me a short, warm hug. I smiled softly to myself and hugged back. After a few seconds we pulled away and she gave a small wave, walking around the counter and to the double doors.

With a weary smile, I gave a short wave back, "Ja-ne." And with that, she was out the door, and gone.

Then once again, like the end of every other day, I was alone again. Boss had left and all the other workers shifts were over hours ago. Sadly, Mai and I have last hour shifts, so it's either her or me that locks up. Given that she actually has a life to attend to, I offer to all the time.

Standing slowly, I pushed my stool back to where it was out of the little isle, behind the counter and walked down to the employee quarters. Yanking off my usual piss yellow apron, I grabbed my black jacket and chucked my apron at the hook, tugging on my jacket. Once I made sure the back doors were locked and everything was in place, I went right on ahead and walked out, locking the front doors and went right on my way back to my home.

The sky was already a smooth subtle orange, slowly mixing with a rich purple that lead to the dark serene night sky. I blew out a long sigh and shoved my hands deep into my jacket pockets. Damn, I thought as I held in a light yawn. I really regretted not going to sleep last night, but it's not like I could help it. After a good while, I then loosely let my mind wonder as I neared my house. Rather than thinking about last nights startling events, I let my mind focus on what I was going to have for dinner and if it should be something minorly fancy or just something I throw together. Stomping up the steps, I slipped out my key when I suddenly heard a loud bang come from far behind me. My heart jumped a bit in my chest as I whipped around. I peered my gaze out into the distance, but I saw nothing. All I saw was a minor amount of coal tar that usually float around at night, yet I've gotten to a state where I don't even know they're there. Across the street from my apartment, a fence separated me from two short buildings aside each other and an alleyway in between them. I narrowed my eyes at the alleyway. It must've came from there. Blowing out another sigh I decided to ignore it and turn back to my door. Just as I went to put my key in the door, suddenly another loud noise came from the alleyway. I looked back, hearing a continuous banging and gritted my teeth. "What the hell?" I muttered.

Finally shadows started coming to the entrance. "Holy shit." I choked out, almost dropping my key when I see a big group of dogs come out of the alleyway. They lightly snarled, almost as if they were too weak to be threatening, and looked around, sniffling as if they were searching for something. I narrowed my eyes more, getting a good look at them. Welts of sickly colored mold grew on their bodies with patches of their own flesh missing as they slightly moved like zombies. Holy crap..they look dead. Just then, I noticed they spotted me.

__________________________________________________________

Japanese - English Dictionary:

Arigatou gozaimashita[1] ~ Thank you, have a nice day.

A/N : So my bad I've been absent for I don't even know how long. I took a break from the story only to come back to find so many anticipating more which I did NOT expect. I'm SO sorry and I'm going to try my best with updating this story. Please note that I am now in my senior year of high school, so shit is getting real. I may be busy but I'll try! P.S. Sorry for the cliff hanger, just thought it was a good place to stop ;)