An unexpected journey

“Bilbo Baggins! Why are you so suborn?” I ask my more or less adoptive father.

“Simply because I wish for nothing other than what I have to stay the same.” He replies.

Stubborn, old mule if you ask me, I think to myself.

“Honestly Larien why do you want to go? Do you fancy the boy or something?” He asks now perplexed with the topic of Grant and I attending to the festival.

“Of course not dad! We are at a lull of mere friends if that makes any sense.” I start chuckling.

“Well, then since you already planned on hunting I will decide whether or not that you’ll be going to the festives .” He says and I steal a quick hug before running up to my room to change. Tonight we will feast and as normal; dad will be in a flustered mood.

I quickly changed out of my normal clothes; moccasin shoes, my favorite trousers, a soft, velvety shirt and a corset tied loosely at my waist. From those clothes I changed into; knee high leather riding boots, with leather pants and some flimsy material that’s name eludes me for my chaps. With another soft shirt and this time instead of the corset it is replaced by a (surprise) leather vest.

I grab my quiver, bow and daggers and clip them to the places they belong in. Quiver at my back with my bow. Daggers concealed by the leather boots and one by my waist. Wait. Wait one minute! My sword! How could I be so stupid? I quickly get it from the closet and put it in my heath (???). As I go down the stairs I can hear father humming quietly to himself. I walk over a give him a kiss on the cheek and say, “Good by father I will be back before afternoon tea maybe. (The time to eat after lunch) So that gives you enough time to cook a little.”

I go to the door and waves as he mumbles something like, ‘Come back safe.’ And things like that.

I leave to go out to the woods and take in a breath of fresh air; home is where I am.

I can sense that deer. I pull out my bow, and I take aim. I let go of a breath and shoot. Well, Father and I will be feasting upon deer tonight. After about an hour after sunset I arrive back at the house with a deer and 4 rabbits, today was a good hunt. I skinned them before I got home so Father wouldn’t vomit like last time. I walk in though the secret passage and set the meat down and say, “I shall now retire to the washroom good by father.”

I kiss his check and head to the wash room. I dispose of my rancid clothes and find my nightgown because I know I won’t be leaving the house anymore. I draw up a bath and try to get my curly chocolate, brown hair out of my braid. I manage to get it out and the bath is full, so I step in. I let my mind wander from one topic to another. Grant, Dad, Adventure, War, Mom. Before I could switch my mind off the topic of my mother I see all of the events flash in my mind.

Flashback…

“Larien you have to go honey. Mommy cannot come with.” My mother cried to me.

“Mother I don’t want to leave you.” I cried.

“Baby you have to be strong for mommy.” My mother whimpered.

“Okay Mother I will.” I walked forward a little bit and an orc slashed my mother’s throat and ripped her open.

 I cried and fired my bow at the orc killing it instantly as others tried to kill me. I tried to run over to her but my brother Adon carried me over to my horse; Naeven and put me on. In the distance I could see a pale orc who I didn’t remember his name but, now I will forever; Azog the defiler. “Ride Larien! Ride faster than you ever have. I will find you. Just remember that Larien. *He slaps the back of the horse* Ride!” He said.