prologue

Harry knows he shouldn't be doing this right now. In fact, he swore to himself he would never do it again. But with his rut coming closer, his mind was starting to become fogged.

"Nick, please," Harry begs to his ex over the phone. "It'll be the last time I swear."

Nick sighs. "No, Harry. I'm done helping you with your ruts. We broke up almost a year ago. We need to break the habit of us having sex during out heats and ruts."

Nick and Harry were together for almost two years before breaking up. Harry wanted to get mated and have kids, and Nick wanted the opposite. They still remained friends and helped each other out with their heats and ruts.

Harry narrows his eyes. "What's up with you? We've made this deal before and broken it. I say we keep having sex until we find mates."

There was silence from Nick's side of the line.

Harry raises his eyebrows. "Nick?"

"Um, yeah. I think I might've found my mate," Nick says hesitantly.

"Oh." Harry pauses. "That's— that's great."

"Yeah. He—"

Suddenly, Harry feels someone come up behind him, grabbing the phone out of his hands and ending the call. Harry turns around to Liam, who has a determined look on his face.

"You are not having sex with Nick again," Liam says.

Harry leans against the kitchen counter, frowning. "I know."

Liam sets Harry's phone down, asking, "you okay?"

Harry shrugs. "He found a mate."

"Do you still love him?" Liam prompts.

Harry cringes a little and shakes his head. "No, God no. It's just... he might've found his mate before I did."

"Oh, Harry," Liam sighs, feeling bad for the man. He knows how badly Harry is craving an omega and to settle down. "He's out there somewhere."

"Whatever," Harry snaps and shakes his head a little. "My rut. That's important right now."

Before Liam can respond, Zayn walks in with a cup of tea in his hands. "Hey, love," he says and pecks Liam on the cheeks. "You guys want some tea?"

Harry stays quiet, gripping the kitchen counter. He can't let himself spend his rut alone. He hasn't done that since he was eighteen. He's heard as alphas get older, the longer their ruts last when alone. There have been alphas that have been reported having ruts lasting a week.

Harry looks up to see Liam and Zayn whispering to each other. Harry scoffs and rolls his eyes. "Didn't realize we were in junior high," he mutters.

Zayn and Liam look towards him, blushing a little. They both mumble apologies before giving each other a look.

"Okay, um, Zayn and I are gonna share something with you," Liam says.

Harry frowns, crossing his arms. "Okay."

Zayn starts off, "So like, in our ruts we—"

"Sorry, but no," Harry declines and cringes. "I know what you do. You guys have told me you'll end up fucking each other. Sorry, I'm not into other alphas."

"Would you just listen?" Liam huffs.

Harry glares at them, but allows Zayn to continue. Zayn takes in a deep breath before confessing, "we use an omega hotline."

Harry's eyes widen. "Like those hotlines creepy, desperate alphas use?"

"I guess." Liam scowls.

"Sorry," Harry apologizes. "Uh, are you sure you guys are clean?"

Liam and Zayn give Harry an incredulous look. "Of course! We do frequent testing and the hotline is very reliable with their omegas being clean."

Harry sighs. "I dunno. I'm pretty picky with the omegas I like."

"Which is why we think you should see the omega we usually do," Liam suggests.

Harry furrows his eyebrows. "You guys don't like him or anything, right?"

Liam and Zayn shake their heads. "We thought about it, but we're better as friends," Zayn says.

"What's he like?" Harry asks, skeptical of the omega.

"Petite, pretty, nice blue eyes, huge bum," Liam tells him.

Harry's silent for a moment before walking out of the kitchen and towards the front door.

"Where are you going?" Zayn frowns.

Harry huffs as he touches the door knob. "I just need to go home and think."

"I'm worried about him," Liam says as Harry exits the flat.

"Same," Zayn agrees. "Hopefully Louis helps him out."

this is v short i'm just excited for this fic so i wanted to post something