Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was the first day of school and I had picked out one of my new blue tank tops, with black and white hearts and a pair of hip huggers, to wear to school. I wasn’t too excited about going, but it would be interesting and a little fun to make some new friends. The ranch was getting boring.

It was time to take a shower. I take forever to shower because I like to get in and relax especially when things get too overwhelming and I feel stressed.

I got in washed my hair with my Plus shampoo that smells like strawberry. I got out of the shower and went to my room. I started looking for my undies that had a bow on them with white lace and a matching bra.

Feeling refreshed, I went down stairs to see what everybody was doing. P.J. was in a blue shirt with nice jeans, wearing nothing like what he wears around the farm. Jake was still in his pajamas since he dropped out of school when he was barely sixteen and started getting in more trouble. He never was big on sharing his past.

Now that he was seventeen though, working on the farm and studying for his GED was more important than anything, to him. I never liked school so I was in a hurry to get it done and over with, but my dad won’t let me graduate early.

My new school was called Strawfeed High school.  Dad registered me the week I arrived. My life was starting to become normal, I guess. I mean, at least now, things were more stable than they had been in years. I grabbed a G-bar (It’s a yum thing my dad makes) and walked out the door to sit on the front porch.

Since P.J. is going to the same high school as me, he followed me out and sat down too. I was actually happy about it. At least I wouldn’t be too alone. I sat, watching the cows roam around, drinking my morning coffee (Yes, I drink coffee in the morning and in the afternoon or I become the wicked Bitch of the west) I heard the door open I saw my dad walk out.

“Morning Dad, how you feeling?” I asked, looking up and smiling. Over the past few days, things had gotten back to normal. I could talk to him now, without giving him the stink eye or avoiding him by staying cooped up in my room all day.

It was six so I probably should have been leaving for school, but oh well. He didn’t say anything as he handed me the keys and my schedule. The only bad thing is I just got my permit.

He looked at me and then walked back into house, completely ignoring my morning greeting.

“I guess I’m driving today,” I mumbled to myself.  P.J. stood up and reached out his hand for the key, but I just shoved passed him and he grabbed my wrist and took the keys. I stood there dumbfounded ‘til he yelled lets go.

It was very awkward the entire ride there. We didn’t talk. I hated the silence, because where I came from, it usually meant that someone had just died.

Thinking about that, I started wondering about my best friend back home. I really missed him. I never got along with girls. I was always a huge tomboy. All my friends were boys. Mason, my best friend, is a player. I met him in 1st grade. We met when we were little. He had taken a toy from me so I beat the hell out of him, then after that we became best friends.

He got one of his girlfriends to try and beat me up once, but I broke her nose. We were only in 3rd grade then. He was my 1st kiss but there was nothing there, I was in deep thought when I heard P.J. said he needed to stop and get gas. So I went in and paid for the gas and got some sun chips, my mind still on Mason. Walking to the car, I watched P.J.s face scrunch up.

“What are you doing with that?” he asked, as I slid in my seat.

“I’m eating them…duuuuh,” I replied, tossing a chip in my mouth.

“You just ate breakfast,” he said, as if I didn’t already know.

“So, I like them and I’m a pig P.J. When did you become my father?” I asked.

“Psssshhh, ya you are…” he replied. I looked at him and rolled my eyes. Boys these days.

“Shut up,” I said out of nowhere and punched him right in his jaw. I didn’t feel bad about it either as I watched him look at me with pure hatred in his eyes.

“Someday, somehow I’m gonna make it alright but not rig-----“something said from behind us. We both looked back.

"What is that?" Ty said. I had actually forgotten he had needed a ride too. OMFG its Masons ringtone!!!!!!!

"MASON I LOVE YOU!!! YOU’RE AN ASSHOLE YOU DIDN’T KEPT YOUR PROMISE WHEN I CALL,” I shouted through the phone when P.J. picked up.

"Sorry babe, I was bammin.  You know how it is,” he said, rubbing his jaw. I secretly laughed inside. That would hurt for a couple of days.

"I don’t care! I’m more important,” the girl whined through the phone. If I were P.J. I would’ve shut the phone on him a long time ago.

"Sorry, so how’s life at the farm?” he asked ten seconds later, as if he hadn’t just been whining into the phone like a little baby.

"Great. I want you to come down. I miss you boo.” I faked a gag.

 "I will. I don’t know how well your dad will like me though...”

"You can stay in my room,” he said quickly.

"Sleepover! We can do are nails woohoo,” he said. I turned and really gave P.J. an odd look. He just shrugged his shoulders.

"Shut up.  I know what she means,” I laughed.

"Well babe, got to go. I have school. Bye,” he said, rushing her off.

"Call me and tell me how it goes. Love you.” I just gave him an awkward glance and waited until he started the engine up.