Solitaire

((This is based off an AU I made where Tom, Matt and Tord are all monster kids and Edd is their babysitter.
Tom is the monster from Power Edd
Matt is a vampire
Tord is a demon
Also this is sorta songfic-y, because I have solitaire stuck in my head and this is how I deal with things being stuck in my head, forgive me.
And yes, the photo is my art))

Don't wanna talk anymore
I'm obsessed with silence

The child huffed loudly and plopped down onto the ground. His red tail swished back and forth angrily, making a scraping noise on the floor. He crossed his arms, and he made a vow with himself never to speak with any of the people who pretended to be his friend every again.
At least he thought they were pretending.
You see, Tord wasn't your average kid. He was far from average, actually. He was born with a deviation; two red horns that popped out of his head, all green eyes with black slits for pupils, black bat wings, and a devil's tail. This is the kind of look that people would associate with demons, and other creatures from down under.
The more the Norwegian sat in the corner alone, the more tears of anger would bubble at his lash line, threatening to spill out of his eyes.
He and his friends were being babysat currently, and during their little play date something went wrong, as things tend to do when friends are young and blithe. Tord ended up getting very upset at Matt, which ended in both he and Tom turning on the demon child. Tord doesn't even think they were his real friends to begin with.
Real friends wouldn't say such horrible things, would they?
He refused to admit he was sad. In fact, the child wasn't sad at all, he was just very frustrated that things ended up the way they did.
Suddenly, he heard footsteps behind him, and he stopped swishing his tail, listening.
The person only hesitated for a second, before coming to sit down next to Tord, remaining silent.
Tord glanced over to the person beside him, and that this person was bigger and taller than any of his friends. His eyes travelled upwards to see tan pants, a green hoodie, and gentle brown eyes. It was none other than the babysitter, Edd who had come to check up on him.
A part of Tord was disappointed that it wasn't one of his friends that had come to make amends, but the other part of him was glad Edd was here to keep him company.
He liked Edd and considered him to be one of his friends as well. Edd was funny, made the best hot cocoa, and read to Tord when he couldn't sleep.
He wanted Edd to be around, but right now he didn't want him to see his angry tears.
"Go away..." He mumbled, turning his back to the babysitter.
Edd tsked. "I know you want me to, but I'm afraid I can't really do that, Tord,"
"It's easy. Just get up and walk in the other direction." The child spoke bitterly.
"I'd much rather be here with you,"
"Why?!" Exclaimed Tord.
"Because something is clearly wrong," Edd stated, scooting closer to Tord so he could see him better. "It wouldn't be fair to just leave you when you need someone to talk to,"
Tord stayed silent, taken aback by what Edd said. No one ever wanted to stay and talk with him. Not even the one who raised him.
"O-Okay...I guess you could stay..."
Edd smiled. "Perfect," he sat beside Tord again now. "What happened back there...?" He asked.
The child made a face of disapproval at Edd's question. "Mmm...I dunno..."
"How could you not know...?" Edd asked softly. "It happened just a few moments ago, we can't just pretend it didn't.."
There was a pause, before Tord said, "I hit Matt."
"Why?" Edd said.

I go home and I lock my door
I can hear the sirens

"Because he took my captain's hat."
"I know that's not the real reason why. You were taught to be better than this, and you wouldn't hit Matt just because of the hat."
Tord frowned. He knew violence was bad but sometimes he couldn't help it. His parents always told him it had something to do with him being a demon. But Edd was right; when it came to Matt he was barely ever violent. (Although he tended to be violent with Tom, unfortunately).
"What's the real reason, Tord?" Edd asked, since Tord has gotten quiet.
"I...that hat was very special to me," Tord replied. That was true. He had been given the black hat as a gift, and even if it was a little too big for him, he still loved it. It covered his horns, and that helped him feel a bit more normal.
Edd already knew how special the hat was to Tord. He wore it everywhere, even to bed. He stayed silent in case Tord wanted to say anything else.
"It's special to me...a-and I don't have anything else." He said, the sting of tears coming back to haunt him. "Matt has everything, and I have..."
The corner's of Edd's lips pulled into a frown. He could now see what the fight was really about.
Matt lived in a well off family. He was an only child, and his dad worked as a lawyer while his mom stayed at home. Edd would only have to do occasional babysitting for Matt's parents, because his mother was usually there to look after the child.
Tord on the other hand, lived in a single parent household, where things were always busy and his guardian had to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. The only time he every heard his father's voice is when his parents were arguing (that was only when his father would stop by sometimes, in the night when they thought he was sleeping). Edd almost always had to babysit Tord, because no one was ever really around.
Tord was jealous of what Matt had.

I covered up my heart in boundaries
All the fakes they called me cursed

"This is all my fault..!" Tord exclaimed suddenly, tears streaming down his face.
"Hey, don't say that...we all have to take responsibility for our actions, but blaming ourselves for everything isn't healthy!" Edd stated.
"No!! Not about the hat!!" He cried. "About my parents!!"
Edd fell into silence, his face ashen.
"Maybe if I was never born, they would be happy together!" He sobbed.
"Don't say that..you never asked to be made..." Edd mumbled.
"If I was never born a freak dad never would have left!!" Tord wailed. "A-And then we wouldn't have to fight for money!! We would be rich like Matt is, and I could do anything I wanted!! And I wouldn't have to be left home alone all the time..."
Edd sighed. "Tord, look at me..."
Tord did as he was told, looking up at Edd, his face stained with tears. He looked absolutely miserable, and that made something in Edd's heart crack just a little.
"Your worth is not determined by how much money you have...neither is it determined by how many material things you own, what your family situation is, what others think of you, or what you look like. You can't help being like...this.." He glanced up at Tord's horns for a second before looking back into his eyes. "Your Dad may think you're cursed, but you're not cursed,"
"I'm not cursed..." Tord repeated quietly.
"I know things suck for you at home right now, but you just have to try and make the best of it. Who knows, things change in the blink of an eye, maybe some day you'll be as lucky as Matt. But for now, you can rest assured that you will always have me," Edd said, smiling a little.
Tord stared at Edd, his green eyes wide. No one ever promised to have his back. And those who did were often liars, and would leave him.
"You...you promise you won't get tired of me...?" Tord asked.
"I swear on my life," Edd crossed his heart, nodding at the child.
Tord sniffled, cautiously crawling closer to Edd and hugging him. He buried his face in Edd's warm hoodie.
The brunette smiled to himself and hugged back, ruffling Tord's hair.
He ignored the horns coming out of the child's head, and the sound of his tail swishing against the floor boards.
What was he gonna do with this kid?

((Haha what are happy stories?))