Chapter Three: The Gift

Devin followed Maddie through the double doors, leaving Winter in the office with the rest of the patients. His stone cold demeanor chilled everyone around him as he stood quietly against the wall. All of the dogs in the waiting room quietly laid down or sat gently panting. It was like someone blew a dog whistle or magic command to them. Greta's eyes rose above her latest romance novel and turned as saucers watching the room turn eerily calm. She watched as a few patrons cut their eyes to Winter, but only to look away when his eyes focused on them. Greta swallowed hard and dipped back into her book. She never really asked Maddie, but one day, she swore she would find out what planet that Maddie found Aidan and all the hot dudes that suddenly arrived in town shortly after. They definitely were the stuff of romance books!

Maddie turned and hugged Devin, who stood still, her arms outstretched awkwardly, apparently taken aback at the sudden gesture of affection. "It's so good to see you, Dev."

Devin gave a soft smile at her sincere greeting and finally patted Maddie's back before she released. "Ha, most people don't give me such a kind welcome. But it's great to see you too, Maddie."

Maddie wiped down the exam table. "Are you looking for Aidan? He and Cam are building new bungelows at the new spot if you need him. I can call him for ya."

Devin nodded, wincing at the bleach smell. "Yeah, I know. Some of my guys are out there helping. It's coming along real nice out there. Even I was impressed. I saw they were building a small infirmary out there." Devin raised an eyebrow. "Was that your doing?"

Maddie looked up with a devious grin. "Yep. Guilty." She leaned against the empty kennels. "I told Aidan I wanted to divide my time and run a clinic for the pack. It would allow me to stay of use and keep busy. At first he said no." She shrugged innocently. "But, after enough whining, begging and other, um tactics, he finally let up and agreed it just made sense."

Devin shook her head. "Someone's a glutton for punishment, though I admit, they could use someone like you to help."

"Well, that's the intent, at least," Maddie said with a soft laugh. Aidan still had his reservations on how deeply involved he wanted her to be with the pack. Even the other night, the pillow talk moved into that subject. But he lost the battle with the infirmary. Maddie told him flat out that she was in this all the way. If she was going to be a part of the pack, she had to help and protect them.

"My pack is full of nomads, so we've been without a pack medic for quite sometime."

Maddie grimaced. "So who patches you guys up when you get seriously hurt?"

"Well, some of the guys have their old ladies patch 'em up if they have one, but most of the time, Winter patches 'em up."

Maddie's eyes grew in surprise and Devin laughed. "Yeah, I know right? He looks like the kinda guy to just let everyone bleed out cause nature intended it. But, believe it or not, Winter can fix almost anything. He's really good with his hands. Always has been." Devin looked at him through the windows on the lab door and shook her head. His resting dickhead face was legendary, but so was his skill in patching up wolves and keeping their hogs running.

"That's impressive. Well, you all are welcomed to use the new clinic when it's completed." Maddie believed Devin, but was glad that Winter wasn't in the room with them. She never really figured out how to talk to him and he was terribly intimidating. Otherwise, she would ask him to teach her more field secrets for ShadowShifters when the clinic gets built. "They plan to have it built by Christmas. Are you and the guys staying till then?"

Devin nodded. "Yep, the bar's pretty much ready for the market. There's a few potential buyers on the hook already, but probably won't pull the trigger till after the holidays. Winter and I will head out of town shortly after Christmas. Why you ask?"