Chapter Two: Snow Blindness

The atmosphere filled with the little voices of eager and boisterous kids playing, laughing and some, of course, crying as their parents ushered them to school. Linda hugged Sandra tight and gave her a high-five before she scurried through the school's entrance. Sandra's little grin was always the highlight of her day and Linda found herself so thankful to see it more often these days. Watching her disappear into the sea of children, Linda finally stood up from her squatting position and tightened her coat. Turning around to head back to the truck, she paused as she thought a man standing near the snow-covered courtyard held a familiar frowning face. She gasped as a pang of adrenaline formed a knot in her stomach. The sound around her began to lower and distort as if her mind couldn't take it in at full capacity. The yells from the children and even the barking from Comrade was barely recognizable as she tried to focus on the man that looked like Greg. Quickly, she rubbed her eyes and looked again. As she focused deeply on the figure, Linda sighed as she realized he looked nothing like Greg. Though his build was similar, his hair was blond and had a little boy in his arms. She fiercely blew out a breath. Her chest heaved as she found herself panting. I've got to get my shit together, she thought to herself. He's not here, Linda. He's gone and he's not coming back. You're seeing things.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder and she screeched, damn near jumping out of her skin.

She quickly turned to see her friend, Evelyn and her son, Marty who both looked just as scared as she was meeting her eyes.

"Lin! Relax, it's only me!" Evelyn held up her hands to show she meant no harm. Marty held on to his mother's coat and looked up with wide eyes. "Are you okay?"

Linda swallowed and raked her fingers through her hair realizing she was staring at her friend. "Oh, I'm sorry Evelyn. I'm fine. Just...thought I saw someone familiar." She quickly put on a smile to comfort her friend and her son. Linda gently waved at Marty "Hi there, Marty!"

He politely waved as his timid eyes looked up at her. "Hello."

Evelyn rubbed his head and continued to look at Linda. "Sorry if we spooked you. I saw you and just wanted to say hello."

Linda nodded her head and smiled. "Yes, of course! Sorry, I've been a bit stressed getting Sandy to school, that's all. It's really good to see you and Marty."

Evelyn rubbed Linda's back and grinned. "No worries. It's good to see you too!" She looked at Marty and began to guide him forward. "I gotta get him going to class, but am I going to see you and Sandra at the Christmas tree lighting at the park this week?"

Linda quickly gave her a thumbs up. "Oh yes, Sandra will be there with bells on. Like, literally, with bells on. She's a nut for Christmas."

Evelyn laughed. "Like someone else I know. Wonder who she gets it from." She winked and gave a friendly wave as she continued walking off. "I'll see you soon then!"

"Bye!" Linda waved and hoisted her purse on her shoulder. She looked back to the snow covered courtyard to see no one there. A chill ran down her spine as she stood there for a minute after the bell rang. It couldn't have been Greg. It just couldn't. Shaking her head, she turned and headed back to the truck, where Comrade sat barking for her attention. Linda rubbed his head to comfort him before getting into the truck. "I'm sorry boy," she whispered to him as she started the engine. "I've got issues. But I'm okay." Comrade leaned between the seats and licked her face. She smiled and fastened her seatbelt. "Thanks boy, I needed that. Wish I could reward you with something other than shots, but that's what's on the agenda for you today, bub."

Linda pulled up to Maddie's pet clinic and before she could turn the engine off, Comrade growled and whined. She rubbed his head and laughed. "I'm quite immune to your pleas there, buddy. Besides, Maddie's really nice, so I don't get why you get all nervous about. Now, come on and let's go. I need to get to the office soon." She hopped out the truck, then pushed the driver seat forward, releasing Comrade to jump down. He promptly sat so she could leash him and headed inside.