Chapter 1

Chapter 1

 Erin Mitchell paused outside the Head Dietician’s office, hearing the low rumble of two male voices conversing inside.  One was definitely Brad Starks, the head of the dietetics department and a close friend.  The other one sounded vaguely familiar but she couldn’t quite place it.

“We’re headed to the Outer Banks in two weeks.  If you’re back in the area and want to reconnect, why not come along?” Brad offered his visitor.

 Erin was going on that same trip.  She, Brad, another NICU nurse Kelly, plus a boyfriend and a spouse. Who was Brad inviting to come with them?  It had to be someone they all knew – Brad wasn’t the type just to befriend random people, let alone invite them on vacation.

“Outer Banks, huh?  Sounds inviting.  Who’s we?  I wouldn’t be intruding?”  the anonymous familiar voice responded.

 “Jamie and me, of course.  Kelly Jo and her boyfriend Tobey.  And Erin.”

 “Erin Snyder?”

 And suddenly Erin knew the speaker. A slow smiled spread across her face as she remembered Brody Morgan, nutritionist and prior tray-line supervisor in the dietary department.  He’d only worked here a short time after college before moving to Philadelphia to be with his girlfriend.  They’d hit it off and enjoyed a work-based friendship until he’d moved.  Then she’d lost contact with him.

 Brad must have nodded his confirmation because Brody continued.  “How is she?  Last time I saw her she was –“

 Erin stepped into the office, quickly cutting him off.  “9 months pregnant?  Watch what you say there Morgan, the lady’s ears are present.”

 Brody and Brad looked up in surprise at her entrance, but then Brody broke into a wide grin. 

 “I would never say anything bad about you Erin.  I was just going to say you were very pregnant and glowing beautifully.”

 Erin rolled her eyes and snorted.  “Nice save Brody, but I know better.  It was probably more along the lines of ‘as big as a house’.  But you’re right, I was.  Thankfully, pregnancy doesn’t last forever.  Alyssa’s four now.”

 “Four?  Has it really been that long?” Brody mused.

 Erin and Brad nodded.  Erin turned her attention to Brad.  “So I heard you’re inviting this jokester on vacation with us?  Something about being back in the area?”

 “Eavesdropping Erin?” Brad commented dryly.

 Erin shrugged.  “The door was open.  I couldn’t help it.”

 “Uh-huh.” Brad grunted, not convinced, “But yes, I did.  I didn’t figure anyone would mind.  Brody’s moved back to the area and is trying to reconnect.  Figured it would give him the perfect opportunity.”

 Erin smiled at Brody.  “I don’t mind.  The more the merrier.  Just be prepared for lots of craziness and booze, in no particular order.”

 Brody’s eyebrows went up.  “Really?  Well, I guess I’m up for that.”

 Erin laughed and turned back to Brad.  “Sorry to interrupt your reunion, but I just needed to drop off some paperwork for a new baby in the NICU.  Preemie, Mom’s attempting to nurse but we’re going to supplement with tube feeds.  I have the MDs formula script.”

 “No problem.  Leave it here and I’ll get it up to you.”

 “Thanks.” Erin replied, turning back to Brody with a smile.  “And welcome home.  See you in a couple weeks.”