Chapter Fourteen

Suyodhana was tired. But not so tired that he couldn't worry about his friend. He had just learned that Vasusena had not left his chambers all day. That worried him.

He was also intrigued by Bheema's visit to him. He'd never seen Bheema so agitated. And he wanted to know what had caused it. But Bheema would need to wait. He needed to go to Vasusena first.

Vasusena opened the door at his knock. In the indifferent light, he looked a bit haggard, but Suyodhana could not be certain it was because of the light.

"You look awful. What happened? I heard you hadn't left your room all day."

"One question at a time please," said Vasusena. "And I was about to come to you."

"What happened?" Asked Suyodhana.

"Sit down," said Vasusena, throwing himself on the couch. "It's something I learned last night. And you're not going to like it."

"What is it?" Suyodhana sat down, really worried now.

"I learned something about my real parents."

"Your real parents? You mean your parents are not your parents?"

"I'd suspected for a long time that I wasn't their son in fact. I mean, there were just too many differences... and... I don't know... it was a feeling I had..."

"Well, who is it? Your real parents?"

"I don't know who my father is-yet. But I learned my mother is... your aunt, Kunti."

Suyodhana started. "No!"

"It's true, I'm afraid."

"No, it's not. If she told you that, she's lying to you!"

"She didn't tell me."

Suyodhana shook his head. He couldn't believe it. Vasusena couldn't be their brother. He just couldn't. It was not possible. It had to be a lie.

"How did you learn this, then?" He asked, his voice shaking.

He listened to Vasusena's narrative without interrupting.

"It's only a guess then," he said. He was groping for straws. "You can't be certain."

"Suyodhana," said Vasusena softly. "This changes nothing between us. You know that, or at least you should."

"You're saying that things will go on just as they had been all this time?" Suyodhana got up from where he was sitting and started pacing. "That you would still be my friend, knowing I tried to kill your brothers."

"They mean nothing to me! Can't you see that?"

"They mean nothing to you-yet. But soon they will. Arjuna has already made overtures. Soon, the others will too. And before you know it, you'll be one of them."

Vasusena got up and caught him by the shoulder, looking into his eyes. "What are you really afraid of, my friend? You're never going to lose me. That I can promise."

Suyodhana looked into the concerned face of his friend. "I know," he said as he pulled Vasusena into a hug. "I know."

"Bheema knows, you said?" He asked as he sat down again. Vasusena remained standing.

"He does. And I think he believes we are lovers."

"What? That's ridiculous!"

"Not to him, it isn't. I think you ought to set the record straight."

"I don't want to talk about Bheema right now. And what kind of a brother are you, anyway?"

Vasusena grinned. "I don't care about Bheema and you know that. But I'm concerned about you. And about your wife."

Suyodhana sighed. "I can't hurt her,"

"If you go on as you are, it's inevitable. You need to sort this out. And I think it's time that you told me about this "only one time," you keep talking about. I mean, when did you two ever have the chance?"

"On our way back from Dwaraka," said Suyodhana. "After our training under Balarama. We were both homesick and we were talking about home and about our Gurukula days, and-" he shook his head. "It just happened. We were both embarrassed in the morning, and we both pretended it never happened."

"Good to see that's working so well," muttered Vasusena, but the concern in his eyes robbed the words of their sting.

"All right. Perhaps it wasn't such a great idea. You don't have to be sarcastic about it."

He rose. It seemed Bheema could not wait after all.

"And I'll take your advice. Who knows, you might not be this tolerant in future."

Vasusena rolled his eyes.