Chapter Eight

"Krishna!" Breathed Arjuna. "What's he doing here?"

Bheema frowned. "How can you be sure it's him? It might be one of the musicians trying to practice without any distractions."

"I know." Said Arjuna as he moved in the direction from where the notes came, Bheema following. Vasusena was about to walk away when Bheema turned to him and growled, "Why don't you come too? Unless you have something else to do?"

Bheema was half-hoping Vasusena would decline to accompany them and was surprised when he nodded and followed them. He cursed the impulse that made him ask. He was trying to frame some kind of an apology, but it was not coming. Anyway what good would an apology do? He'd probably be rude to the man again.

Bheema turned his attention to his brother. Arjuna seemed to have a new spring in his step. He really must love Krishna, thought Bheema. And he wished there was some way he could get rid of Vasusena. He had not thought much when he asked the man to accompany them. But now he was risking his brother's reputation and that of Krishna too. How Suyodhana would enjoy learning about this!

Krishna was not too difficult to find. He was sitting by himself underneath a tree, eyes closed, seemingly lost in the music he made. They all stopped, hesitant to disturb him. They were still in the shadows of the trees that flanked the path they were on, so even if he opened his eyes, it was not likely he would spot them. Bheema thought it might be best if they left, and he was about to suggest the same to his brother when someone appeared at the other side of the tree.

"Will you stop that noise?" Kunti sounded angry.

Krishna opened his eyes and smiled at his aunt. "Why, aunt, what's wrong? Was my playing that horrific?"

"I want this meeting to be private!" Snapped Kunti. "What if someone comes here, looking for the source of that noise?"

"Everyone should be asleep by now. Isn't that why you asked to meet me at this time and at this place? So tell me, aunt, what can I do for you?"

"You know what. I want you to leave Arjuna. He has a wife and a son."

"Only one wife and one son?" Krishna's tone was mocking. "What happened to the others?"

"You know what I mean! What is between you two... it cannot continue! You should know that."

"I do not see that, Aunt." Krishna's voice was steely now. "We are not making a spectacle of ourselves. We are not embarrassing our families. I don't see why we should give each other up simply because you feel offended by it!"

"I'll tell your sister," she said.

"She already knows," Krishna sounded bored.

"Then I shall ensure your sons come to know. I'm sure they'll be happy with their father's relationship with their uncle!"

"If you do that, I too shall have no choice but to reveal your secret to the world."

"My secret? What secret?"

"Vasusena." Replied Krishna.

Kunti's face went pale. "How could you know that?"

Krishna smiled. "I just do. So, what say you aunt? Shall we have a truce? We are discreet, you know, you need have no fear we'll embarrass you in anyway. And your secret shall be safe with me."

"That's blackmail."

"What do you call what you were attempting to do?"

Kunti's shoulders slumped. "All right. You win. You won't tell anyone about Vasusena."

"Not unless they ask me in so many words what your relation is to him."

Kunti snorted. "Playing with words, are we? You won't tell anyone. You have to promise me that. And in return, I will turn a blind eye to whatever peccadillos you and my son get up to."

"I promise. I won't tell anyone about Vasusena. And provided you don't burst upon us unannounced, you won't need to turn a blind eye to anything."

"I am very disappointed in you." she turned around and left, angry.

"The feeling's quite mutual, aunt," muttered Krishna, a faintly contemptuous smile tugging his lips.