Sacrifice

Wook was aware that the king had already forbidden anyone to plead for Hae Soo but there was still one person whom the king could never ignore.

He went to the Damiwon to see Lady Oh. The court ladies there told him that she had gone out for a while so he waited until she returned.

"It does not seem like you are here to drink tea," Lady Oh said once she returned to her office.

"Court Lady Oh, you are the only person left whom I can make this request," he said. "Stand up for Hae Soo. I believe that you can change the king's mind."

"I cannot request something like that just because I was once close to the king," she said, disappointing Wook.

"Then... are you going to ignore this and let Hae Soo die?" Wook asked holding on to what his instinct was telling him. "I know. You feel like a mother to her. That is why you are against us secretly seeing each other."

"Why is it that you cannot stand up for her yourself?" Lady Oh asked and her words felt like a knife stabbed deep within his heart. "You said you love her. Even if you die, you should try to save Hae Soo. It would be better than me standing up for her. Is it the queen and your household that are holding you back?"

Wook could not answer.

"I suppose it has something to do with the succession to the throne," Lady Oh continued making him feel worse. "The reason men in the royal family become cowards is always the same."

"Court Lady Oh..."

"Someday you will come to regret how cowardly you are today," Lady Oh said not letting him reason with her. "The one time you turned your back on her will haunt your conscience forever."

Those words echoed in his head yet he could only listen.

"I will meet with the king because I deeply care for Hae Soo," she said, disappointed with Wook. "You could not save anyone, Your Highness."

She bowed then left Wook to ponder on her ominous words.

^###############################^

"Why do you look so restless?" Wang So asked, annoyed at Baek-Ah's back and forth pacing in Jimong's tower.

"Nothing," Baek-ah said but he was obviously lying. He was restless and it was bothersome.

"Tell me," Wang So urged his younger brother. "What is worrying you?"

"Nothing... really..."

"Baek-Ah!"

"Hae Soo told me not to tell you," Baek-Ah hesitantly uttered.

"What is it?" Wang So asked, getting more impatient and nervous.

"So... today is Hae Soo's execution..."

Wang So was stunned.

"No..." he uttered and ran as fast as he could towards the execution ground.

He was hoping that he would come in time to save Hae Soo. He thought he still had more time to think of a better plan in taking Hae Soo out of the palace but, as always, he was wrong. When a misfortune starts happening to him it pours like rain, not giving him any time to relax or to recuperate. His body was still recovering from the poison yet he had to fight the palace guards and take Hae Soo away, to somewhere the king's men would never reach them.