My First day!

Tillie's alarm went of at six o'clock in the morning, creating many growls of frustration from Donald. 

"Turn the.... the... The thingy off!" he said, with his face buried in his pillow, waving his hand towards her alarm. 

Tillie did so, and sat up grabbing her clothes from her closet. She ran into the small and cramped bathroom. And changed into her long skirt and turtle neck. She opened her door, and her make up caught her eye. She hesitated before shaking her head and closing the drawer. 

Tillie put her hair up in its usual tight ponytail, and came out into the room. She grabbed her things that she had packed that night, and she said goodbye to a grumbling Donald.  Tillie closed the door behind her and she beamed with excitement. She was going to be at her class a half hour early.

***** 

Tillie's first day had been absolutely amazing, She got her lectures, studied through lunch, and stayed late discussing the course with a professor. 

It was about 5:00 now and she came straight to her room and started studying the material they went over that day. She reviewed it yesterday, so she felt herself getting a little bit bored. 

Suddenly Donald opened the door,  and came in looking at his phone. He looked up at her and furrowed his brow.  "whoa... Are you actually studying...? It's like the first day. he shook his head and plopped down on his bed. 

Tillie looked at the floor and smiled awkwardly not sure how to respond to his critiques. "Uhhhh.... Well.... you can never be too prepared!" She said nervously. She straightened up and sat  on her bed. the bed was made neatly with no extra pillows or anything.  

They sat there in awkward silence for a few minutes neither of them saying anything. He just sat on his phone. Tillie was just waiting for conversation. "So... Do you want to do anything?" Donald simply shrugged. "Ok." Tillie tried to recover from the confusing responses she was receiving. 

A few more minutes of silence passed, and Tillie was about to give up, when Donald finally said something. "So what's your deal girl?" He said not even looking up from his phone. 

This comment was just a vague as the others. "My deal...? Could you elaborate a bit, sorry I jus-"

"Whats with the picture? Is that you family?" he said looking at the photo.

Finally, something I could answer. "Oh, yeah! Thats my Family.... This is my dad, Walter, my mom, Evelyn, and my baby sister Kayla. They live in-" 

"I am sure you miss them a lot sweetie. You seem like the type that would." he chucked looking back to his phone.

Tillie bit back frustration over the fact that he kept interrupting her. Plus what was that last remark supposed to mean? 

"Oh... Well yes I do." She said smiling slightly. 

"Do you now?" he chuckled. Tillie was so confused. 

Before she could say anything, he smirked, and said "Who wouldn't miss a family as happy as that." 

Tillie just smiled and nodded. She bit her lip, remembering how bad the photo shoot had actually been. Her father had been yelling at them all to make sure the photo was perfect. Tillie had cried the whole night after that was taken.

Tillie's joy was completely deflated. 

"I am going to get ready for bed..." she murmured.  She got up and walked to the bathroom, she could feel Donald's eyes on her, as she left. She changed into her pajamas, and she brushed her teeth and hair.

When she emerged Donald was standing up examining the photo. "Uh hey," he looked up. Tillie looked at him smiling lightly. "I, uhh, look i didn't mean anything by what i said about the photo, It is nice. your family seems cool..." He said. 

To Tillies surprise there was actually some sincerity in his eyes as he said that. She smiled and thanked him, "It's okay. Really it is fine, no problems at all."

Donald nodded and the sincerity left his face. "Okay then babe..." he smirked again and chuckled.

***** 

Tillie could hear Donald's steady breathing, in the dark room. She lay in her bed with the covers pulled up to her chin, and her eyes wide open. Her fathers shouts echoing through her head.