Chapter 2 - What Just Happened?

Start from the beginning

"Does your brother hate me or something?" Jesse asked as he sat down on the comfortable floor. 

"No," I said telling the truth. "He's just... very protective over me. He's scared you might hurt me in some way. That's why he is acting like that." Jesse nodded, understanding. 

"It looked like he was going to kill me. I didn't know what to do," he said making me laugh because of his expression. 

"I'm surprised my mom let you come over," Jesse looked at me as if he was asking why. "She's the 'no boys allowed' type of mother."

"Who could resist me? I'm so lovable," he said smiling innocently. Again I laughed. 

"Why did you guys move here?" Jesse asked abruptly. 

I didn't answer right away, "my mom got a promotion from her job. She needed more money." I said not looking at him until I said the last sentence. 

He shook his head up and down. I could tell that he has more questions to ask me. "Where's your dad? Is he coming late or something?" He asked clearly not knowing anything. 

I hesitated for a moment. I thought through of what I was going to say before saying it. "My parents divorced a while back," I said but not saying the whole story.

Jesse looked taken back for a moment. I guess he remembered them being happy together, like I did. Blake and I did see it coming, we talked about it when we saw how our father was acting. We knew something was going to happen between our mom and dad, but we didn't want to believe it. So, when the day came, reality hit us hard. Everything was happening too quick. My dad moving out, us moving to a new neighborhood, its happening too fast. Ever since they divorced Blake became more protected over me. I guess since now dad wasn't around he had to take his place for the man of the house. 

Jesse got up from the carpeted floor and began to explore my room. I don't mind, I don't have anything to hide. He looked very interested on what was on my desk. It wasn't my laptop or the blue marbles that were placed in a little bowl, but he was interested in my little jewelry box. The one his mother gave me along with the necklace. I'm guessing he remembered it, since he was there when his mom gave it to me. I stood up and went next to him. He opened the little drawer and took out the necklace, holding it from the little chain that was connected to the key. 

He observed it, turning the little key in his hands. "Isn't this the necklace my mom gave to you," he said still examining the necklace. I nodded crossing my arms. "Magiko dunamas? Is it Latin?" He asked looking up at me. 

"No. I'm taking Latin at school. I asked the teacher but he said it wasn't Latin. I never bothered looking it up." I shrugged.

 "Dinner is ready!" My mother yelled. Jesse placed the necklace on my desk before we left the room.

As we ate, my mom was telling stories about Jesse and I when we were younger. My mom seemed delighted having Jesse here with us. He was always like a son to her. Jesse seemed like he was enjoying himself too. He kept repeating how he had missed my mom's cooking. Blake was probably making him feel slightly uncomfortable by the way he was staring him down. Why does he have to act like this? I kicked him under the table when no one was paying attention and gave him a look telling him to stop acting like an idiot. When we finished eating, I cleared the table with also some help from Jesse. We went back into my room, of course Blake seeming not to approve. 

We walked back into my room leaving the door opened to let some fresh air come in. I walked to my desk to put my necklace back to where it belonged. When my fingers contacted with the key, a stinging burn rushed through my fingers making me drop the necklace on the floor.