“James,” called a voice from behind him.

“Yes?” he called as he turned around. Not seeing anyone he continued to walk to Quidditch practice before he felt a hand on his shoulder; turning round he came face to face with a leggy blonde whose heart shaped face was very nearly level with his, her blue eyes wide. “Er hi? Who are you?” he asked, a little alarmed.

“Someone who’s deeply in love with you,” she said with a little giggle.

“Er are you?” he said as he attempted to disentangle himself from where she had him trapped against the wall of the corridor.

“Yes and I have been ever since I first saw you, but you never talked to me,” she said, her voice sad.

“Sorry. I think we’re a bit young though-”

She ignored him and continued, “So I knew I had to do something but I didn’t know what until I saw you just now, and then I thought to myself, ‘I’ll go and talk to him.’ So that’s what I’m doing.”

“Right, yeah,” he said, as his mind supplied, ‘and while you’re at it, you can scare him away too.’ “Well I’m sorry, er…?” he paused, not knowing her name. “I’m sorry but I actually have to go to Quidditch practice so I’ll, um, see you later.”

“I’ll be cheering for you in the match next week.”

“Right, thanks.”

“James?”

“Yes?” he asked, refusing to turn round and face her again.

“Will you go to Hogsmeade with me?”

“I’m not actually going to Hogsmeade,” he lied quickly. “I have… detention that weekend.”

“Already? Who with?”

“Yeah… with um… Professor McGonagall.”

“Well what can I say; I suppose girls love a bad boy.”

“Right,” he said as he ran away as quickly as possible.

***************************************************************************

“It’s not that I hate the attention or anything, but she was really creepy,” said James as he explained what happened to the others.

“What is it with girls and James these days,” asked Lupin sarcastically. “Between you and Sirius we can barely walk down a corridor without being mauled and jumped on.”

“And then she asked me to go to Hogsmeade with her!” he said.

Sirius laughed. “What did you say?”

“I told her I wasn’t going because I had detention with McGonagall that day.”

“Oh well done.”

“What?”

“Well now we can’t go to Hogsmeade in case she’s there,” Sirius pointed out.

“Damn.”

“What did she look like?” asked Peter.

“Blonde hair, blue eyes.”

“Bet he would have said yes if she’d been a red head with green ones,” Lupin whispered to Sirius, making his laugh echo throughout the room.

She accosted James again as the four boys walked down to lunch the next day. “I just thought I’d let you know that McGonagall just gave me detention for next weekend as well, so we’ll be together anyway.” James’ eyes widened and he felt Sirius’ elbow in his ribs.