Chapter 30 - Gemini

Start from the beginning

"She's all yours, kid." Terris glanced over and saw the pirate eyeing the male.

"Haden, any objections to a meet and greet?"  Terris turned to the AI who gestured to the forward bulkhead where a panel of information materialized.

"No threats detected in the environment.  Scans of our hosts have returned negative on both bacterial and viral content.  If I had to describe this place for human reference, I would use the word 'perfect' quite frequently."

"Good enough for me."  Terris walked past the group and headed straight for the ladder well off of the forward cargo bay wall.  He hadn't given any thought to it since their flight from Proximus Station, but it seemed to be the best option to disembark.  As he turned into the bay, he saw the massive bay doors were lowered at one end to form a ramp leading off of Dawnhammer.

The young man didn't hesitate and marched straight down it, his eyes taking several seconds to adjust to the brightness of the world. 

Before his vision solidified, a form hammered into him causing him to stagger.  He could feel muscle and flesh moving against the white Guardian uniform as the unknown figure embraced him tightly.

He blinked his eyes into focus to find gentle, chocolate colored eyes staring into his.  Pink lips were drawn back in a smile on absolute joy.  She was as tall as Terris.  His arms went around her bare shoulders involuntarily and he was stunned by the softness of her skin against then steel tendons underneath.

"Terris!" She squeaked, excitedly.  Hers was the voice from the communications band.  She bounced up and down in his arms, reminding him of a child. The occasional silver strand in her beautiful mane, along with a lifetime compliment of laugh lines at the corners of her eyes and lips put her age somewhere higher than forty.

She gave him a wink, and began issuing hugs to the rest of the crew.  When she got to Silas, he held up a hand.

"Can I save this greeting and get two from him?"  The pirate pointed at the male who was embracing Dawn.  Red hot fire lanced through Terris' chest at the sight.  The stranger reacted physically, his eyes snapping to Terris before stepping back with his hands in the air, his face a mask of apologetic shame.  Even the female had frozen mid-step, her eyes also locked on him.

Terris stared, absolutely certain that he'd given no indication of the surprising flash of jealousy.  Dawn stood with her arms extended, surprised at the sudden disappearance of the man.  Terris' head tilted slightly, eyes locked with the newcomer.

The pilot gave an imperceptible nod.  Reluctantly, the man stepped back toward Dawn, but there was not much enthusiasm in the embrace.

Captain Valeri, who was standing close to Terris' side, leaned over.  "Even I felt that, Sir." She whispered.  Terris didn't know how to respond, but the Captain didn't need a prompt.
"First time in love?"

The young man looked at her ice blue eyes.  He was surprised to see them filled with empathy.  His heart slowed down as he lowered his own eyes and nodded.

"She's a beautiful woman." Valeri observed.  Terris nodded again.  "She also has a lot on her plate, right now."  Terris looked sideways.  Was he getting rejected before he even got the chance to express his interest? By a third party?  Terris knew he wasn't a 'ladies man', but that level of rejection should have come with a trophy of some sort.

Valeri must have seen the incredulous look, because she slapped him on the back in a friendly manner.  "I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, Sir.  I'm just suggesting you give it time."

Thankfully, the female finished her round of personal greeting and was attempting to pry her friend out of Silas' roaming grasp, allowing a break in the uncomfortable line of Captain Valeri's dialogue.