2. Annual Spring Festival

Beginne am Anfang

                              ***

        Morning in Amsterdam was unusual for Emerald. The sun shown more brightly and the loud voice of birds chirping outside made the day immensely more beautiful. Anna had knocked on the door fifteen minutes ago, not knowing that she shouldn't.

        Anna slowly entered the room, walking over slowly, she gently touched Emerald's arm and shook her awake.

        "Mistress! It is time for breakfast," she said gently.

        "What the fuck... Who the..." Emerald cursed not knowing who was standing in front of her.

        "What do you want?" she sniffed when she realized it was her maid. She looked at the clock that hung above her door, rubbing her eyes.

        "Mistress, it's almost 12:00 AM and you're late for breakfast." Anna explained to Emerald who looked annoyed.

        "Whatever! Now please leave, I need some space to breathe, you know!" she always remained hyper while talking to people.

        After having breakfast, Emerald asked Anna to show her the rest of the house. Mr. Morgan left the house as his duty called for him. 

        "Dad won't be home before 11:00 PM?" Emerald asked Anna.

        "Yes, sometimes he doesn't come home at all," she replied somberly.

        Emerald groaned,"I'm going to rot and die in this place!" 

        Anna looked horrified, "No, no, no, no! I will make sure you stay very healthy, Ms. Morgan! You can even talk to me if you want. We can be friends!" Anna said, gradually calming down.

        Emerald fought back a chuckle at how frightened Anna had been. She snarled, "And why the hell should I? Did I ask for your friendship? Your bugging me will just make me rot faster!" Emerald replied aggressively. Anna's eyes lowered and she turned away to busy herself with cleaning up dishes.

        Not realizing she hurt Anna, Emerald went outside, stomping her feet as she went.

        "I want to go to the beach! Just let me go, you egg-headed jackass!" Emerald was arguing with one of the guards who wasn't allowed to let Emerald leave the house grounds.

        "Look, don't mess with me! Let me go or else I'll make sure you won't be here tomorrow!" Emerald threatened him, her eyes cold as ice.

        The guard clenched his jaw as he seemed to consider the loss of his job as guard. Apparently it wasn't worth it, "Go on then." The guard turned his back and allowed her to leave for the beach.

        It was evening and the beach seemed a bit filled up. Children were playing ball games on the beach. Couples were lying on the sand and relaxing.

        "I hate people!" Emerald muttered to herself as she walked slowly towards the shore. The roaring voice of the waves crashing there was still unclear to her. Thankfully she couldn't hear all the shit people were saying. As she walked slowly towards the shore, a ball hit her head with so much force it knocked her face down and made her feel dizzy.

        Two young boys far away from the shore were shouting but Emerald didn't know whose ball it was.

        'What the hell? Are they blind? I am not giving it back.' Emerald held the ball tightly in her arms and stood, starting to walk again.