Chapter 55

HARRY’S P.O.V:

“She’s been taken into surgery to remove the bullet. If everything goes well, she will be okay.” The doctor informs Marian, dad and I.

“Fuck.” I groan running my hands through my hair.

We’ve been here for nearly an hour and this is the first information we have got so far. What happens if surgery doesn’t go okay? What if something really bad happens? Fuck, I need to stop thinking these negative thoughts. But I can’t. Mia’s been shot and now she’s in surgery.

I shouldn’t have let her even go talk to her dad in the first place. I should have pulled her back, but she insisted. I tried to get to her before he pulled the trigger. But it all went to quick. I fucking hate myself right now. I’m supposed to be there to protect her, to keep her away from these sort of things.

“Harry it’s not your fault.” Marian says quietly placing her hand on my tense shoulder.

She can clearly see my agitated facial expression.

“It is, I should have blocked the bullet.” I bite, internally punching myself.

“No, there was nothing you could’ve done Harry.” Marian says with a serious tone.

 I sigh, mentally yelling at myself. I could have done something. I should have done something.

“Harry. Stop.” Marian says again.

“I’m sorry. I just can’t. I should be the one in there not her.” I honestly say.

“Son.” Dad says telling me to stop thinking these thoughts.

I can’t sit still any longer. This surgery is taking way too long. I just need to see her, to see if she’s okay. To keep my mind still I pace up and down the waiting room.

Half an hour goes by and my legs are starting to get sore.

“Mia Wellington.” A lady says making Marian and William automatically rise to their feet.

“Yes. That’s my daughter.” Marian speaks walking over to the polished lady with a clipboard.

“Mia’s out of surgery, but is currently asleep from the surgery. She is stable, but it’s probably going to be a while till she wakes up.” The lady speaks and my heart rate decreases instantly. She’s okay.

“Can we see her?” I ask quickly cutting off Marian.

“Yes you can.” She says and nods for us to follow her.

She takes us down many long hallways till we come to halt at one of the room doors.

“This is her room.” She smiles before leaving us.

My feet instantly take me inside first and I rush to an asleep Mia. My breathing slows down and I instantly feel soothed at the sight of her alive.  She has a long pipe attached to her wrist and machines are around her bed, like any ordinary hospital room. She looks distressed in her sleep and I just want to wipe away the crinkle lines on her forehead. Her upper leg is tightly bandaged and blankerts are draped over her body.

I sit on the end of the bed near her feet and run my hand down her cheek softly. Marian gives her a quick kiss on the head and she and dad sit on the chairs in the room while I hold Mia’s hand tightly.

******

It has been an hour and she still hasn’t woken up. The doctor says that’s normal for someone who’s undergone such serious surgery. But I’m still worried. It’s nearly midnight and the doctor is letting us stay a while longer, even though vising hours is over.