"How do you know I attempted to send a message?" Apollo asked. His voice was strained now, his composure cracked, and I knew he was thinking of all the friends he had in Feloix Felaii.

"Because." The stranger replied mildly. "The solstae king saw a werewolf receive a frixen butterfly shortly before he died."

The air was thick with silence. Apollos hand tightened around mine, and I thought sorrowfully of Fang. I'd lost the opportunity of knowing him.

"Helios..." Apollo hesitated. "He saw Fang fall?"

The figure nodded.

"When did you speak to him?"

"Not him specifically. " The stranger replied. "He wanted to come himself, but his attendants refused to have him exposed to the risk. His servant girl, a child named Alecta, came and found me about to enter the city. She warned me away, and told me to give you something when you arrived."

"She knew we were coming?" I asked in surprise.

"The solstae know all, young one." I could feel his eyes on me again. "They are all seeing, especially about you. The king keeps a close watch on those he is closest to."

"What did Helios want to give us?" Apollo asked.

In response, the figure pulled out two bulky packages from his cloak. They were smoke colored, and I knew immediately that they were the thick suits that the solstae had worn during the war.

"For protection." The stranger held them out to us.

Apollo carefully took them from him. He looked down at them, his forehead creased in thought. He glanced back up at the hooded figure, who watched us silently.

"Why are you helping us?" Apollo asked. "You could have turned away from the solstae girl, or at least kept the suits for yourself."

"Such little faith." He sounded like he was smiling. He paused before going on. "I'm aiding you because the world is ending. I'm here because you, Apollo Ambrosia, are the only one who can bring it back from the brink. Is that a satisfactory answer?"

Apollo didn't seem to know what to say, so he simply nodded.

"Good." Pale fingers pulled the neck of his cloak tighter. "Then please stay out of the city. There's nothing more you can do for it."

And then suddenly, he was gone. I looked around wildly, butt only pale, silvery trees met my gaze. The figure had simply vanished into thin air.

"They have a habit of doing that." Apollo told me patiently. He began unfolding the suits.

"Who?" I asked, bewildered.

"Vampires." He replied simply.

"How do you know he was a vampire? His scent was masked."

Apollo paused before answering. His emerald eyes were focused on the suits, but they were very far away.

"Because only vampires can be that stoic about the end of the world."

---

"Are you sure this is safe?" I whispered to Apollo hoarsely. "He said specifically not to go into the city."

"Yes, but we have nowhere else to go, Lilah." Apollo sounded strained through his hood. "How else can we stop this thing? If Fang can no longer help us -" Apollo paused, his voice hitching - "I think I know of someone else who can."

I didn't reply. I trusted him; plus, there was no way I could come up with a better plan. Apollo was the mastermind here, and I was simply along for the ride.