22: He said to follow the blood

Start from the beginning

How dare he talk to me like that! I was the Alpha and also the one who lost his mate today, not him! He needed to learn that while Dallas may like him, I didn’t and since she was no longer here, I would have no problem ripping him to shreds.

I would deal with the punishment she felt I deserved once I got her back and she found out I killed her friend. Anything would be better than letting him stay and think he could disrespect me like that. Hell, I’d even settle for a little understanding here. My whole life just climbed out a window to go meet some psycho asshole who wanted to take her away from me and Tristian. He could be a bit more sympathetic, instead it’s like he is pushing me just for the fun of it.

“Ease your thoughts, Ryker. I’m pushing you because I am sympathetic. You are lost without her and therefore not thinking clearly, you need a little incentive to get you and your wolf under enough control to find her!”

This was the first time I had seen a crack in his smooth, tough guy act. For once his tone held worry and sadness to it. His eyes also held fear. Fear for what we all might have lost today if we didn’t get our head out of our asses and figure out where Dallas was.

Sighing, I walked over to him.

“You’re right, I do need to clear my head in order to find my mate. But if you ever talk to me like that again, no God out there, will be able to save you from what I will do to you. So if you don’t have anything useful to say, I suggest you shut the fuck up now.”

I think he finally got the message that I was not one to be messed with. If the look in his eyes was anything to go by, he did. His flinch was so sudden and quick, if I had blinked I would have missed it.

To my shock, once he regained his composer, a smug smirk graced his features. The instant it did I wanted to knock it off.

“What?”

My irritation fully evident in my word.

“You and Red are more alike than you think. She once said nearly the same thing to me, well except for the mate part, just before she gave me this.”

He lifted his shirt enough for me to see a faint white raised scar just under his ribcage. I was shocked, vampires heal almost instantly so scarring one was near impossible. Both wolf and man felt pride at the thought of our mate being able to do so.

Before I could ask how she did it, he playfully rolled his eyes at me and turned to walk out of the room. My first thought would have been that he was upset about it but the smile playing on his lips told me otherwise, so I really didn’t care why he left.

That is until I heard his voice just outside of my office.

“Where you spying little one?”

Little one? I thought, just when the image of Tristian crossed my mind.

I stood and listened closely for a bit longer, I knew he would never hurt Tris. He knew how much he meant to Dallas and if that scar was anything to go on, he knew better than to piss her off by hurting her pup.

“Do you know where my mummy is? I know she went to that bad man, but why didn’t she take Daddy? He would have kept her safe.”

I was out the door and in the hall within seconds.

“Tris, what bad man?”

No one –as far as I know- had told him anything about Brody but here he was, clued in on the situation already.

“The bad man that came the other day, the one that…took Roe and Julie from us. He told mum he would, if she didn’t go with him.”

The tears that filled his eyes broke my heart even more than it already was. He knew we had lost two members last night but with everything going on I hadn’t had time to think what it would do to him. Though I wanted to pull him aside and make sure he was ok, the end bit of his sentence was more important right now.