Maria Dunfee

(This takes place during the end of The Last Olympian)

I lay down on the edge of my bed as I glanced down at my watch. It read 10:30 in bold digital numbers. I had never woken up this late. Usually, the bustleing of the city and car horns honking woke me. That's when I realized the silence that hung like a deep thick cloud surrounding me. New York was almost never silent.

 I threw open the curtains of my room window and peered outside. The streets were crowded with cars and people as usual, but they were curled up with there eyes closed, almost as if they were sleeping.  I opened the window and let the warm summer breeze drift in. That's when I heard the yelling.

To the far left of my apartment, stood a boy covered in scars and bruises. He appeared to be about 16. A rage of pure anger and hatred radiated from his eyes twords the figure infront of him that was to far away for me to see. I considered calling the police but eventually I decided not to. Instead, I grabbed my backpack and headed out to where all the curruption arose from. 

I rushed out of my apartment and then froze. My heart stopped. The boy with jet black hair stood firmly over the mangled heap of a girl with light blond hair cacked in blood. Her face was ghostly pale and her features were crumpled up in pain. 

"No one touches her!" The boy with black hair raged.  "No one touches her!" he repeated again. 

And from that moment on, I knew that this boy was not  one to be messed with.