Chapter 56. You and I*

Start from the beginning

"What's going on, Emil?" Evan said quietly, having drawn up close to my side. "It looks like we crashed somebody's wedding."

"Think Evan," Hannah interjected. She was almost glowing she seemed so excited. "It's yours. What did I tell you about your mate? He is a legend among vampires."

Evan's jaw dropped open and I decided I would cherish the wondrous look in her eyes forever. She whispered, "Really?"

"Yes, but I think I had a little help," I answered as I looked to those that were fast becoming friends, and to the one friend I'd had for decades. "Did you do this, Jean?"

He bowed elegantly, and replied, "I will admit it was my idea to make your special day more festive, but I must give credit to Hannah and, believe it or not, Malachi."

I glanced from one to the other. I could believe Hannah, as she had revealed elegance and bubbliness she had not been able to show before. Malachi was standing tall and met my eye levelly. He said, "I was most pleased to hear that you wanted to enter into the sanctity of marriage. Our kind rarely feels the need to recognize such conventions. What can I say? I've always been a romantic at heart, and thought I might never get the opportunity to witness vampire nuptials again."

"Thank you," I said softly to those around me. Though Evan and I had talked about marrying, I realized I had not properly asked her. I dropped to one knee before her, took her left hand in mine and gazed into her wide eyes. "Evan, will you do me the honor of sharing eternity with me?"

She acted as if no words would form so she nodded her head and squeezed my hand.

Looking around, I noticed that Nathan stood uncertainly at the edge of the sanctuary. "Nathan, will you be my best man?"

"Me? What about Jean? Wait, you're getting married today?" the boy stuttered, looking a bit confused.

"No time like the present," I answered, pulling Evan toward the front of the beautiful chapel. "And I thought that, while it is unconventional, since we don't really have any laws about adoption, that Reverend Williams could hold a dedication ceremony of sorts, where Evan and I commit to raise you with our beliefs and to the best of our abilities. What do you think? Would that be okay with you? I know you're not a baby, and you can say no if you want, but we'd be honored to be your parents."

Nathan was having difficulty holding in his emotions and I could tell it took some effort for him to answer, but he managed to say, "I think that would be good."

Spotting the Reverend waiting quietly in the doorway, I lifted my hand in greeting. I could tell he was a little nervous. He was one of the few other humans who had more than an idea of what I was. I'd frequented this particular church when I felt more lost, and throughout the years, the ministry had been welcoming, allowing me to infiltrate their flock. Not all of the church leaders had been around long enough to get more than a passing suspicion that I was more than human. Reverend Williams had been at this parish for almost thirty-five years, and about ten years ago, he and I had a rare heart to heart talk after Tourneau disappeared. He thought that I still had a soul. He was the reason I was still fighting to redeem myself.

Most of my visits were after hours, so as not to mingle with the humans too much. I could only imagine what went through his mind yesterday when I told him that I needed his assistance for a wedding. We had agreed that since human laws did not particularly apply to our circumstances, this would be a wedding before God, not needing a license.

"Reverend! Please come in. These are my...friends," I said, wanting to put the older man at ease. "I want to introduce you to my bride!"

The Reverend walked resolutely forward, nodding to the vampires surrounding him. My friends all stood back and gave him plenty of space. I thought he might feel something like Daniel, trapped in the lion's den. He came to stand in front of Evan and I. I reached out and shook his hand eagerly.