Chapter 56. You and I*

Start from the beginning

Malachi's signal that humans had entered the park on a late-night walk whistled in the night. Tourneau, Hannah and Hawk walked out to mill on the sidewalk watching the dimly lit game of catch. I heard two sets of footsteps coming at a quick pace; runners out for a jog. Pulling Evan along with me, I led her down to stand in the shadow between the old-fashioned street lamps that did little to light the path. As the humans drew nearer, I watched Tourneau smoothly call to them, causing the man and woman to stop and listen. True to his ability, Tourneau had entranced them effortlessly, and led them to where Evan and I stood.

Evan looked to me for direction and I softly encouraged her to feed from the woman. I watched again in awe as Evan gently bent to the woman's neck. I had not taught her that. She had been that way from the beginning.

"Remember to take just enough, love. She will still need to get home tonight," I reminded her just before I set to making short work of my meal. There was nothing like clean healthy human blood, so unlike my usual fare of the dregs of society. When we each had taken enough, we arranged the two humans on a park bench, seated close together for warmth. They would wake up once Tourneau released them from his entrancement, a little dizzy and lightheaded, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

Our small group gathered again and as we walked north through the park, I could not contain my excitement any longer. I turned to Evan and asked her, "Evan, are you ready to get your things?"

"Yes, but we didn't bring a car, so how are we going to get what I want back home?" she asked me. She had said 'home'. I did not think that I could feel fuller inside, but her words pushed me closer to bursting with happiness.

"We have one more stop before we go to Benton Park. Then we will all be able to carry a little something. If there is any furniture you want to move out for now, we can come back with a truck and get it later. You just need to tell me what you want," I said, amused by the slightly confused wrinkle on her brow.

"Where are we going? I thought we would need to do the whole 'get in, get out' thing. I thought it was dangerous to be out right now," she stated, keeping step with me, but watching my face intently. "What's up, Emil?"

I could no longer contain my smile, and began laughing as she became more suspicious. Nathan was still in the dark about what was coming up, but everyone else was now laughing or whispering to each other.

"You'll see," I replied, pulling Evan under my arm and hurrying along. Saint Louis was a beautiful city, and was even more so at night. The streetlights reflected off amazing stone and brick architecture of the late 19th century buildings. Crossing the street with the light, we come to a stop in front of one of the beautiful stone cathedrals that graced the city, beautiful enough to rival the great cathedrals of Europe. Hannah and Tourneau led the way up the short flight of stone steps and held open the doors.

"What are we doing, Emil?" Evan asked more suspiciously.

"I told you, you'll see," I said patiently, leading her by the hand through the tall wooden doors, through the vestibule and into the sanctuary. When I turned my focus from Evan's lovely face, I was taken aback, overwhelmed by the sight that met my eyes. I had made arrangements with Reverend Williams, but I had not expected this.

The sanctuary had been draped in white flowers of all sorts with beautiful greenery threaded through. Candles had been lit and lined the aisle to the front where more flowers and candles had been placed in front of billowy white material that had been draped over the altar. All the decoration tastefully set off the natural beauty of the soaring wood timbers in the ceiling; the stained glass lit from the outside, revealing its beauty; and the stone walls covered with artful tapestries of the upcoming Easter season.