Chapter 56. You and I*

Start from the beginning

"Emil, Emil," my friend said comfortingly, "This is new territory for all of us. We just have to be vigilant and be prepared to do what we must to help her if the time comes. Do you need anything else for tonight?"

"I have everything set up, but I want to make sure Evan feeds tonight, she needs to be satisfied. Then we are going to go to my old house...her house, and get some things for her. I want to have a guard with us, so maybe you, Hawk, Xavier? The rest can come back here and then take turn at sentry," I said.

"We can all go, it will be like a housewarming. When do we leave?" Jean asked with a gleam in his eye.

"As soon as we can. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of here?" I asked, hoping I was not in for as big a surprise as Evan was at the ornery glint I saw in Jean's eyes.

"All is well here. Gather your bride and we'll be ready to escort you," Jean said, laughing as he went out the door.

Evan went along with what I said about her needing to feed prior to the next few days' events. She could have asked for me to provide, and I would have, as I realized I found it rather pleasurable, but she did not. I needed to feed as well, in preparation for the potential trouble we would face tomorrow, so I didn't offer. After choosing to be alone for so long, I was surprised at how much I was enjoying being part of a group. Though I had known the other Guardians for some time, I had never cared to interact outside of required gatherings.

As I watched the group gather in preparation of leaving, I noticed the good-natured teasing that Xavier gave Hannah over her flirting with Hawk, how Aiden was showing Nathan one of his favorite weapons, Tourneau and Hawk in the kitchen leaning against the counters deep in conversation. Malachi was standing next to Evan and I, silently observing the others as well.

"I will make sure to keep watch while you and Evan hunt, sir. I will be sure you have ample time," Malachi vowed.

"Thanks, Mal. I'm going to have Jean accompany us. He has a way with people, you know," I said, trying to remind Malachi of Tourneau's ability to lull humans into a more complacent state. I figured anything to make Evan's feeding safer would be best.

"That is an excellent idea. I'll just be sure you are not bothered," he answered. I could not ask for better soldiers.

Smiling, I nodded my acknowledgement. Leaning toward Evan, I asked, "Are you ready to be on our way?"

Evan nodded silently, allowing me to see her nervousness at what would come next. Leading the way, we took to the roofs, as I wanted to avoid unwanted attention. It was getting later, which meant our enemies would likely be out, doing their own hunting. Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, we crossed the city, heading to the darkest part of downtown. It was not far from Benton Park and Evan's home, so we would be able to manage both tasks in relatively short time.

We had decided to find strong prey tonight, as it was only Evan and I who needed sustenance. The others had already fed well, so they were here as protection and distraction. Entering Tower Grove Park, we gathered in one of the grand stands and milled about as if we were simply a group of friends passing the time. It was not a hard act to pull off, as Aiden, Nathan and Xavier began throwing around a football that we had stumbled across on our walk into the park. Nathan was laughing and seemed to be having a good time. I held Evan against the front of me, as she said that she felt cold. Playing the part, we all wore jackets in order to blend in, but I had wrapped mine over Evan's shoulders to give her that much more warmth. It concerned me slightly, as vampires became insensitive to the cold. Nathan did not seem to notice it, so I concluded it was not likely due to her newly changed state. Most likely it was something more to do with the part human baby she carried.