CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

(Belle's Pov)

The next morning, Daniel arrived early like he promised to take Sam back to his cell. I placed a soft kiss against his lips, before letting him go. But it was when I was going back to fix my bed, my eyes caught sight of a bright, yellow piece of paper.

I bent down, picking it up with confusion. It was trampled up and near my bed, looking as if it had been stepped on and gone unnoticed. I pushed my glasses up, my eyes trailing over the written words. 

'You're not safe, Belle. I'm going to get you. I'm going to get you good.' - Anonymous

My heart drummed with shock, confusion and fear. Various amount of questions played inside my mind, though, I believed I wouldn't be finding the answer to any of them anytime soon. I gulped, my eyes wide as the paper began to shake in my trembling hands.

Inhaling a deep breath, I slowly inched back to my bed, and sat down. I let out a deep breath, scrunching up the paper and putting it aside. I had no idea who had sent it to me, and why they had decided to use such threatening words, but I knew one thing. They wanted to scare me, have me a little worried. 

And, it worked.

Swallowing, I pushed my thoughts to aside. My eyes glanced up at the clock on the wall, the hands ticking by every second. It read 7:45 AM, making me jump back into reality. I had no time to worry about whoever this anonymous note sender was, I had to get ready for work.

Pulling myself up, I made my way over to my closet and picked out a simple outfit. I slipped off my clothing while I was at it, not wanting to waste time. I pulled off my glasses and placed them on my bed, my brows furrowing as I tried my hardest not to think of the note.

However, as I slipped into the shower and scrubbed myself clean, I found it hard not to think back to it.

Who sent it?

Why did they send it?

And most importantly - What did they mean?

---

Later on, the threatening note managed to find its way to the back of my mind. It had sort of slipped out of my mind as the day went by, which was exceedingly quick. I was thankful for that, as I was woken earlier than usual. But it was worth spending my usual sleeping time, talking away and kissing Sam.

A smile found a way onto my lips. 

Speaking of Sam, I hadn't seen him all day. I would be seeing him right after dinner shift, and as always, I was looking forward to it. Shaking off my thoughts, I proceeded my walk towards the cafeteria. I was alone today, only because Daniel was forced to cover another guard's shift.

I believe his wife was in labour. 

When I entered the cafeteria, noise immediately entered my ears. The sound of various tones of voice sounded in my ears. From deep and low, to scratchy and dry. I pushed up my glasses, walking towards the lunch line. Only a few inmates stood awaiting to be served, which made me feel a little less guilty when I pushed in.

"Here you go." I heard the familiar voice belonging to Silva, chirp. I smiled in thanks, taking the extended tray from her hands. On the tray was a bowl of a green soup, which I hoped was broccoli. A small loaf of bread and a small, plastic plate of strawberry cake. 

An odd meal, but I knew it would taste good.

Exhaling, I glanced around the cafeteria. Things had changed - a good change. I had been working in this prison for nearly two months. Before I was stared at, and I received lots of odd and questioning looks from the inmates, some even lust-filled. But no longer.