o n e

~Unexpected ~

           Dan sat in the coffee shop, twiddling his thumbs. He tapped his fingers on the sleek wooden table. one hour. He had been waiting for one hour. His date still hadn't shown up. He and Jacob had been talking online for weeks. He had thought that they had something, especially after Jacob insisted that they meet up for a date. But he had been sitting at the cramped table for at least 45 minutes.

          The other patrons of the shop were starting to shoot looks at him, and the waitress had stopped asking if he was ready to order about 20 minutes ago. Dan's head was pointing down at the table, gazing at the grains of wood in shame. He really didn't think Jacob wasn't coming at this point. But he still didn't want to leave on the off chance that he would still show up.

            Another ten minutes passed and Dan felt a tap on his shoulder. could it be him?

It was the waitress.

            "Sir?" she asked tentatively "Are you ready to place your order?"

           "I-I umm..."

            "Yes, he's with me." an unfamiliar voice piped up. Dan's snapped up as if he had just received an electric shock. This wasn't Jacob. Instead, it was a tall man with staggeringly blue eyes and black hair. Dan had also never seen him before.

          Before Dan could tell the man now sitting across from him that he was not the person he had probably been planning to meet, he had already ordered a sandwich and the waitress had turned to him.

           Not wanting to say anything with the waitress standing right there, looking quite happy for him, judging by the bright smile that now adorned her face, rather than the pitying looks he was receiving earlier. He quickly ordered the first thing he saw on the menu list in front of him.

            As the waiter walked away, Dan turned towards the man who sat across from him, ready to confront him, when he did the same and whispered,

            "So who stood you up?"

"what?"

"I said, who stood you up?" the man repeated. Not wanting the man to just take pity on him, he replied,

"How do you know I was being stood up? For all you know, my smoking hot date is in the bathroom right now and is gonna come back here and bash your head in."

"So your date has been in the bathroom for the last 15 minutes that i've been here?" the strange man retorted, grinning. Dan blushed and sputtered, shaking his head.

"So you've been stalking me?"

"nah, but, I know the feeling."

"What do you mean?" Dan questioned.

"I've been stood up before too. It's miserable. I guess I kinda figured that you wouldn't want to face that sorry look the waitress was giving you again, so I came over and saved you from sudden doom."

"Thanks then."

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, then waitress came back with their orders. Setting them down on the table, she shot Dan a look. Just as he was about to ask why, he looked down at his order. Doughnuts. He had just ordered an entire box of doughnuts. The man sitting across from him probably thought that he was insane.

             He looked over the top of his box, face flaming and looked at the man sitting across from him, laughing his ass off. After a few minutes of laughing at Dan he managed to sputter out,

             "W-why the hell did you order an entire box of donuts?" Dan's face turned even redder as he muttered something about being nervous. "Wait, I made you nervous?"

           "Well, I'm sorry that I wasn't fearless around some random dude who just sat across from me, Mr. Stalker!"

           "It's Phil, by the way."

           "Alright, Mr. Stalker Phil."

           "I'll have you know that I am the best stalker there ever was." Phil said, grinning and grabbing a doughnut out of Dan's box.

           Conversation was quick after that. As it turns out, Phil liked a lot of the same movies and shows as Dan. He also watched anime, something that he had never seen another adult do in person. Even Jacob had thought that he was childish. They also had the same taste in music. He even had a youtube channel, something Dan had been wanting to try and do for a while now, but never had the motivation or time to do so.

          Before either of them knew it, the sandwich had been devoured, and the box of doughnuts half-emptied. With no real reason for either of them to stay they awkwardly parted ways. { not without exchanging phone numbers ;) }

          As Dan walked away from the cramped little coffee shop, he realized that he was no longer angry about being stood up. It seemed that even thought it had not been with the person he had expected, he had ended up having a pretty nice lunch date. Maybe he and Phil would have something later. All he really knew is that he definitely wanted to try.

~fin~

Word Count: 851

I'm about a quarter of the way through my next oneshot already, so you should get it in a week or two. I think that it'll be quite a bit longer, since this one was pretty short.

constructive criticism is always welcome!