Ashton's brows come together, as he sizes her with his mouth open on a smirk. She takes the cardboard towards the hallway, keeping Ashton's attention the whole walk there. He shakes his head, going back to his phone and texting Calum their answer. An immediate barrage of winking emojis causes Ashton to quickly lock his screen before anyone sees.

"Okay, Neo, let's get you ready for grandma's house," Mellony bends at her knees, cheerfully clapping her hands to get Neo enthused. Neo happily jumps up from the floor, forgetting about the fort and the movie completely.

Ashton's phone goes off in his hand, displaying an unflattering picture of his friend, but he waits for Mellony to close the bedroom door behind her. When he hears the click of the lock, he answers, though he braces himself for Calum to say something stupid.

"I'll be waiting to hear a thank you sometime tonight."

"Shut up, Calum."

♡ 

Meeting Mellony's mother went better than Ashton expected. Not that he was thinking it wouldn't go well, or that he really had any expectations at all. He just knows that it did go well, or at least could have gone a whole lot worse, considering Mellony's mom kept throwing hints at her daughter to tie him down before it's too late.

She seemed to like Ashton, subtly pointing out how nice he and Mellony would look together. He can't say his cheeks weren't sore from smiling at all of the things she had said.

Once they'd said goodbye to Neo and gotten back in the car, Ashton noticed Mellony sigh to herself. He realized that this was probably the first time in a while that she's not been with Neo somewhere. It made him determined to have tonight to be a good night for her, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Which is why as they pull up to Club Star67, Ashton hastily gets out, rounds the car, and opens Mellony's door, like some sort of chauffeur. She grins like she appreciates the gesture, so he chalks it up as a win.

"Why, thank you, Mr. Irwin." Mellony jokingly flutters her lashes up at him, bundling the strap of her purse in her hands and stepping out of the car.

"My pleasure, Ms. Martin." Ashton adds a bow for special effect and lets the door fall shut after giving it a small push.

Mellony smirks, glancing towards her heel-clad feet, then back up at the large building in front of them. "So, how long have you known this friend?"

Ashton's steps sway with his hands as he gestures. "Well, he's kind of like my best friend, even though I've only known him for a few years."

"Awesome," Mellony nods, turning her head to the boy. "And his girlfriend?"

"Pretty much just met her. She's nice, though, I think you'll like her."

Ashton opens one of the large double doors for them, letting Mellony in before himself, then walking in behind her.

They don't get too far from the entrance before Ashton hears Calum calling for him from across the room. He and Darcy have secured a booth in the corner and there's already three empty beer bottles on the tabletop.

"Hey, Ashton!" Darcy grins, getting to her feet and meeting him halfway to throw her arms around his neck. Ashton isn't expecting her cheerful greeting, especially given how self-possessed she was when she first met him.

He responds to the hug, but the way she lets her palms slide down his shoulders makes his arms go both slack and still behind her back.

"Sorry, mate, she's a bit of a lush," Calum apologizes, with a somehow proud smile, as he gently pulls Darcy into him by her waist. He turns a bit to gesture at the table. "Two of those are hers, and she's already like this."