Engagement

"Man, I'm freaking out. This is like, a one shot opportunity. If I stuff this up, our relationship may never be the same. This is the end game, you know what I'm saying?"

"Anthony, there's no way she can say no. Now, can we hang up for real? I'm going to miss my subway."

Anthony gnawed on his lip anxiously, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. "But what if..."

"Ramos. You've got this. Break a leg."

Anthony sighed as Rob hung up, putting his hand in the pocket of his shorts and feeling the familiar ring box. He had been carrying it around for weeks now, but he hadn't found the time to reveal it to her yet.

Well... that was a lie. There had been so many perfect moments, but Anthony had freaked out before every single one of them. He put his phone back on charge, jumping slightly when a knock on the door interrupted his thoughts.

"Babe? Are you done yet? We kinda need to get going..."

Of course, Jasmine had no knowledge of why Anthony had been so skittish lately. He had just told her it was a lack of sleep and that he was stressed from filming; that it was not a big thing. But, he couldn't give her the real reason until he finally was courageous enough to take the ring box out of his pocket.

"Yeah! Of course. I'm just... sorry," Anthony said, fumbling with the lock on the door and opening it. Jasmine smiled at Anthony, putting her hand into his.

"Ready to go?" Jasmine asked, resting her head on his shoulder and letting out a soft sigh.

"You've performed in front of thousands. This should be easy..."

"Y-Yeah. Of course," Anthony replied, giving Jasmine a quick kiss on the cheek. Jasmine blushed, pulling Anthony out of the hotel room and into the elevator.

"Did you not sleep well last night?" Jasmine asked, giving Anthony's hand a gentle squeeze. She knew he had been acting strange the past few weeks, but she couldn't quite put her finger on what was making him... different. He had given her excuses whenever she asked, but she knew Anthony so well now that she could tell when he wasn't telling the truth.

"Oh, I slept okay. But I got a phone call from Spike Lee and he had some problems with a few of my scenes. I've gotta fly back to fix them," Anthony lied, stepping out of the elevator when it opened and quickly heading to the beach.

"Well, I hope you can stay here at least until the Christmas holidays are over. I feel like we've been a bit distant since you left Hamilton. With all the filming and my trips to London..."

"Oh."

The two stayed silent for the rest of the walk. The butterflies in Anthony's stomach were raging and creating a hurricane. He felt like he could vomit, or pass out. But he knew this was it. She wouldn't leave him alone on Christmas, would she? There was no way she could say no.

They sat down together when they reached the restaurant. The beach was visible from their balcony seating, the sun slowly starting to disappear behind the sea.

"Jas, you look incredible tonight. I love you so much wifey," Anthony said, smiling as he pulled out her chair. Jasmine blushed, sitting and letting Anthony push her in.

"You look good too Ant. I don't see why we needed to get so dressed up though. I know it's Christmas eve, but we'd be fine to leave the house in shorts and a shirt," Jasmine stated, watching Anthony as he sat down across from her.

"Well, I mean, I have something I want to talk to you about... and if you want to get food first that's completely okay too. It can definitely wait. It's not life or death, obviously, I mean talking is never life or death rig-"

"Ramos! Calm down," Jas said, laughing quietly at how flustered he was getting. Anthony rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, taking a deep breath in and then releasing.

"Let's get something to eat first. I think you need time to breathe," Jasmine added, putting her hand on Anthony's. Anthony relaxed slightly, picking up the menu and starting to read through it.

About an hour later, the two had finished their meals and were happily chatting away. When the first wave of silence in a while hit, Anthony knew the moment had come. He stood, kneeling down in front of Jasmine and pulling out the ring. Jasmine froze.

"Jasmine, I could go on forever about how incredible you are and about how happy you make me, but I think if I put this off any longer I will literally explode. So I want to ask you... will you be my wife?" Anthony asked, fumbling with the ring box and opening it finally.

Jasmine stared back at Anthony with wide eyes. She opened her mouth, trying to produce any sound she could, but failed. She nodded her head quickly, a wide smile spreading on her face as she started to cry tears of joy.

Anthony let out a sigh of relief, slipping the ring onto her finger and pulling her into a tight hug. "I love you so much Jasmine Cephas Jones. You mean the world to me."

"I... I'm sorry. I have no words," Jasmine whispered, looking at Anthony shyly. Anthony smiled, kissing her gently.

"Merry Christmas, wifey."